PDA

View Full Version : My turn to ask....

mister_zee
Sep 29, 2006, 12:12 am
My turn to ask if I've found a blewitt or a cort. Spore print was a light tan.

mister_zee
Sep 29, 2006, 10:03 am
I am going out to the same woods today. I will try to collect more specimens and get better photos. There were quite a few growing together.

A great project for me or anyone finding both corts and blewitts would be to photograph the spore print from each variety. Since they both have "brown" spore prints the contrast between the two hues of brown would be very helpful.

mister_zee
Sep 29, 2006, 10:05 am
Let me clarify my comment about brown spore prints. I know there is a difference between buff or light tan and rust brown. However, the distinction between these two mushrooms is very important. I would hate to see anyone eat a meal of corts.

mister_zee
Sep 30, 2006, 1:06 pm
Thanks for the replies and helpful information. I agree that all the characteristics should be considered and only the total of all of them should be used to determine the identity.

It seems that the only one that was ambiguous to me was the color of the spores.

Went out to find more but they were either gone or in poor shape. Going to look again today and tomorrow.

My wife is out of town and has the digital camera so I may not be able to photograph.

Good hunting everyone.