PDA

View Full Version : Courious on Identy

sassy
May 6, 2007, 12:25 pm
This is not a real clear photo. These are all over the south side of my back yard hill growing in the grass. I did a spore print it was light. I had yellowish-tan paper so I can't be certain on the spore print. Since they are flourishing here in my back yard, I assumed they are not safe for consumption.

I looked in my ID manuals, I can't seem to pin point what mushroom this is, I am courious if anyone here might know? I figure it is a good learning tool for everyone.

Even though it looks good, never eat it when in doubt. The stems are really thin and spindle like, the photo does not reflect this. Thanks in advance!
Sassy

sassy
May 6, 2007, 12:28 pm
Let me try this again to see if the photo shows up.. Sorry everyone..

Ohio Transplant
May 6, 2007, 4:09 pm
Look in your ID books for Coprinus atramentarius.

sassy
May 6, 2007, 6:51 pm
Thank you so much for the information! I cross referenced it, I did find it! It is under the common name, (I think ??) of Tippler's Bane.... The only thing odd was the spore print was not black. "Yet another warning flag"
In any case, I admire all mushrooms and want to learn about them. Will I try an unknown one.. ? Heck no! I love mushrooms, but I don't want to die by one. Thank you for sharing your very valuable information so I could cross refrence.. This board is of so much help to oldies and newbies alike.. Peace be with you all and happy "safe hunting" to all!

Sassy...

Ohio Transplant
May 6, 2007, 8:18 pm
Yep, that's the one. Tipplers Bane is a less used common name here in North America. Most field guides will refer to it as the "Inky Cap" or the "Alcohol Inky".

sassy
May 7, 2007, 9:06 am
Thanks so much for you kindness and help, I sure do appreciate it.
Those little mushrooms were puzzeling the heck out of me.. lol
This board so so wonderful!

sassy