PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know what this is?????


mg n mesick
Apr 26, 2008, 8:21 pm
this is about the size of a softball.

Happy Trails
Apr 26, 2008, 8:39 pm
It's a "mushroom of the poisonous variety" - gyromitra.

HT

Tammy
May 3, 2008, 2:38 pm
Originally posted by Shroomgod
MY personal respose is the following. It is a BEEF STEAK, It is delicious cooked the same way as Morels. :thumbup:

Sorry, Shroomgod, but this is a statement that the majority of us here take objection to.

Please, folks, DO NOT eat beefsteaks, no matter what the color. They are all poisonous.

This isn't my opinion, it is fact.

mg n mesick...that's a good size, for kickin' not pickin'!

mg n mesick
May 4, 2008, 10:03 am
Originally posted by Tammy

mg n mesick...that's a good size, for kickin' not pickin'! [/B]


thats all that i do with them!!!! lol....:thumbup:

Kapok
May 6, 2008, 2:57 pm
Gyromitras--my Grand-dad used to swear they were the tastiest. But I won't touch them, and you shouldn't either. No matter what the old-timers say, beefsteaks will get you!

birrdybrad
May 6, 2008, 4:55 pm
Stay away!!!! My neighbor at our cabin has been eating them for years. ( He Says their good. They wont hurt ya.)

Later that eve. his wife was taking him to the hospital.

I've yet to hear the outcome of the situation.--Brad

madnickwill
May 14, 2008, 3:52 pm
When I was a kid our neighbors use to eat those "Beef Steaks". They would pick them by the bucketful. My dad never would touch them - mostly cause he said they were to meaty. I never realized until I was an adult that they are actually poisonous. I suppose if you have a tolerance to them than your okay. But on second thought how would you gain a tolerance? HMMM

Your best bet is to stay away....

fasthunter
May 15, 2008, 1:21 am
Better safe then sorry. DON'T EAT IT!! There are to many other mushrooms out there to hunt that taste good that aren't risky. Isn't worth it.

huntergatherer
May 15, 2008, 8:23 am
I know a couple in our area that became extremely ill from eating them, they both ended up in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives......true story.... DONT EAT THEM!

whiteoakart
Jun 17, 2008, 11:48 am
My understanding is that the toxin builds up over time in your liver. You might eat them for years with no ill effects, but when the toxic content reaches some critical mass, your liver malfunctions.

eliandco
Jun 29, 2008, 9:45 pm
Listening, and watching you all go after the other shrooms, is very interesting. But I am weary of taking that next step.
But I imagine that will come with time, and experience. I'll tell you one thing though. I ain't going out like that.