PDA

View Full Version : Can I Chow on these?

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 6:07 pm
I just got back using my new GPS. So what are these?? Can you eat? They are so fresh.

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 6:10 pm
they where growing on wood, maples, elms

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 6:12 pm
Non found on ground all gill are straight

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 6:15 pm
they smell good

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 6:18 pm
Top are gray and the bottom pure white as snow? so what do you think. I got they in cold water right now.

miker
Jun 16, 2008, 6:35 pm
Ted, don't eat those, they are way too far gone to possibly I.D, see if you can spore print it,mike

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 6:44 pm
Hi Mike, The woods was full of them. My bag broke them up. If I soaked them in water can I still get a print. Not going to eat. I didnt have my camera with me. Otherwize, I would have left them in the woods. What do they look like to you. I thought they where Fried Chickens, but not so, after I look them up.

tkcenterline
Jun 16, 2008, 10:07 pm
Originally posted by greysRDbest
Megacollybia platyphylla (http://www.mushroomexpert.com/megacollybia_platyphylla.html)

check that out. That sure looks like them to me. Megacollybia platyphylla. The Gills where very thin and Bright white. They also had a slight order There was only one out of the bunch that had a hint of very light pink. All the others here bright white. I put them in cold water, untill I could cheaked them out. So, I dont know if I can print them. Plus, I need a lesson in spore printing the right way. Well, I am doing a print one as I type. I think I just learned how! I will let you know. Anyway, I fig I was going to enjoy a dinner---BUT NOT EDIBLE, SO GUESS NOT. Thanks for your help. You folks are the best.

miker
Jun 16, 2008, 11:07 pm
Greys, you hit the nail on the head, gill color did not match up to an old specimen of P.cervinius,mike

tkcenterline
Jun 17, 2008, 1:06 pm
I tried a spore print. Here It goes!! they appear to be far more white then pink or red.

tkcenterline
Jun 17, 2008, 1:09 pm
and a close up of the gills. They do branch off near the edge of the cap!

SWMichRealtor
Jun 17, 2008, 4:50 pm
I didn;t check jason's link but to me...those are platterful mushrooms.

Apparently edible (meaning you won't end up on the liver transplant list), but why would you?

Ed

tkcenterline
Jun 17, 2008, 11:09 pm
Why edible-Ed ? I tell you they where fresh no bugs and looked good enought to eat. But I am going with Miker on this one- all the facts point to Grays!!! Plus, I tossed them? When in dought toss them out. I like my liver!!