PDA

View Full Version : Please help to identify

woody boat guy
Jun 29, 2008, 8:54 pm
I wanted to identify this my self , but my mushroom book is very poor . must buy a new one. So here it is , must have grown overnight in my front yard. I donot plan on eating anything untill I spend time with an expert. this one is almost 4 inches tall, thanks,steve:eyebrow:

woody boat guy
Jul 1, 2008, 1:36 pm
another pic,

Woodbutcher
Jul 1, 2008, 2:54 pm
Steve, i was just given a mushroom book about a week ago form one of my neighbor friends.

Front cover has the following writing on it.

American Nature Guide.
Mushrooms and other Fungi
by
Geoffrey Kibby
Published in 1992 by SMITHMARK Publishers Inc.

All of the illustrations in this guide are Artist drawings.
On page 17 is a bolete shown that is identical to the one you have found, under the name Boletus barrowsii.. when i do a google search for that perticular mushroom , none of the pictures come even close to what you have and what is in my book.

Boletus barrowsii is supposed to be found only in Mexico and the western U.S.

However, i did read somewhere that in 1967 2 of them were found in the northern lower peninsula of michigan. with no data recorded as to where,when and habitat.

Go figure, wish i could be of mor more help. My guide states that it is one of the best edible species rivaling Boletus edulis....................(ols o known as the King Bolete) or Elvis.

leonard

woody boat guy
Jul 1, 2008, 10:07 pm
Hi , to all , should I pull it and dry or freeze it, still in my front yard on east shore of lake lucerne , crandon wisc. I have some other very wierd mushrooms I found on the west hill today, will take pics in the morning,. this is all new to me , but fun and very interesting. where did these things come from? how do the spores travel? who was the first one that thought it was a good thing to eat? steve

woody boat guy
Jul 13, 2008, 12:02 pm
grew in pine forest,new to cottage , thanks,steve

Woodbutcher
Jul 13, 2008, 12:59 pm
Yellow-orange Fly Agaric, Amanita muscaria what comes to mind Steve.

Don't eat it !

miker
Jul 14, 2008, 11:23 pm
L.lutenum, as greys stated,mike