PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying these

JumpStart
May 1, 2009, 11:49 pm
I should of put a penny by to give the scale, but I forgot. They are about the size of a large pea. Also, you can't see in the photos, but they have small stems, they don't just sit on the ground.

Bachflock
May 6, 2009, 5:54 pm
They somewhat resemble the fruiting parts of a slime mold but given the presence of mycilium I doubt its a slime mold. Link to slime molds info. (http://www.mushroomexpert.com/myxomycetes.html) Its probably going to be tough to ID but I am by no means an expert.

JumpStart
May 6, 2009, 9:43 pm
Thanks Vance. I will revisit the area in a couple of days. If they have grown or have developed further distinguishing characteristics I will post the pictures.

Rich

Bachflock
May 9, 2009, 5:32 pm
Something else I didn't think to mention but if you read the info on that link you would have caught it. If you "pop" the fruiting body of a slime mold it contains a thick, milky substance of the same color as the outer covering. Small true mushrooms don't do that to my knowledge.

JumpStart
May 9, 2009, 8:37 pm
I went back there. They are not slime. They were just little mushrooms that looked just like the pictures of the slime from your link. See the pictures below. These are the same little buggers that are in the first pictures. Any idea what they are called?

Rich

miker
May 9, 2009, 8:50 pm
Do they have shiny scales on top of the cap? mike

JumpStart
May 9, 2009, 8:56 pm
No, no scales Mike.

miker
May 9, 2009, 9:06 pm
My gut feeling is some form of paneolus, mike

JumpStart
May 9, 2009, 9:24 pm
Mike, I looked up "paneolus" on mushroom expert.com but came up empty. Got a link so I can read about these?

Rich

JumpStart
May 9, 2009, 10:02 pm
Mike please disregard last post. Just a type-o. Found it. Thanks.

miker
May 9, 2009, 10:04 pm
My bad, spelling was off,actully Panaeolus , are they growing around a pasture or open field area? mike

JumpStart
May 9, 2009, 10:06 pm
Nope. In the middle of the woods.

JumpStart
May 9, 2009, 10:08 pm
I think you are right. From what I have read about panaelous. It looks like my find. I always like to learn. Thanks Mike.

Bachflock
May 10, 2009, 9:40 pm
I'm sold its Panaelous. It'd be cool to get a spoor print to key it even farther - not to mention its just fun.