Michigan Morels index

Michigan Morels index (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can it be TOO wet for morels?? (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=5539)

96Bronco May 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Can it be TOO wet for morels??

I checked out a new area today. I wasn't quite sure how the area would be, but it turned out to be rather wet. There was quite a bit of standing water in about 50% of the area. The drier areas were a little soft to walk on. There were a good number of elms in the area and a few dead ones too. I searched for about 1 1/2 hours with no luck.

So, is it possible that this area is too wet? Thanks for the help.

measuredude58 May 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Standing water has never been good for me. Moist areas, but not standing water.

96Bronco May 14, 2008 11:25 am

Anyone else have any thoughts on this??

RedWing1 May 14, 2008 11:33 am

I agree...I tend to stay away from areas that have standing water. With that being said though, and being I don't check those area's very often I could be missing out! I have come across area like that, and have found them on steep slopes above a very wet area, though. I have also found them on high river banks, and I guess you can't get more water than that!

Guido May 14, 2008 12:34 pm

Swampy areas are not usually good for the white/yellow/grey, even though there are often trees in those areas that make you want to take a look. I have had some modest finds in slightly elevated areas nearby. I tend to stick to higher ground for ease of hunting, though.

Guido

mch1mzs May 14, 2008 5:11 pm

I have never had any luck in wet area. Down here in Southern Michigan I have luck on east and north slopes with dead elms that have not been dead a long time.
Up North I find them on east and south slopes. Most of the mushrooms (whites) I find are very close to mature hardwoods (beech and maple).

Woodbutcher May 14, 2008 9:48 pm

Not the ideal place to be looking for morels. Several years ago i came arround a bend edging a swamp. I spotted a nice dead elm at th edge of the swamp about 50 yds away. The black muck at the swamps edge was to wet to walk on. Getting on some higher ground,working my way towards that elm the ground at the tree was about a foot higher and dryer. Lots of skunk cabbage,lifting some of the leaves with my walking stick uncovering big yellows. got about 20 from under that tree.

I won't pass up an elm at the edge of a swamp. Not all elms will produce,you'll never know.

icefisher69 May 14, 2008 10:16 pm

I have never had very good luck in super wet area's! One time i was going through a really wet area and seen some elms ahead and headed towards them and it was on a mound of dirt about two feet higher and there was a half dozen. you never know!!!