Michigan Morels index

Michigan Morels index (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ruining the Morel areas. (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=15892)

alexjj Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Ruining the Morel areas.

Why is it that people think that every year they have to destroy the floor of the woods by raking the ground like wild hogs?
I have been picking since I was 5 years old and this practice has gotten worse over the years.

These people have no right to be in the woods if they are going to desecrate it like this.

topher Apr 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Ruining the Morel areas.

Hey they get gritty morels at best...and if they are tryin to sell them they are bruised !!

Jochs Apr 25, 2013 11:45 pm

This year is the first time I have found morel sprouts, and this was by sheer luck.

I don't normally dig up the leaves, as if a morel is really small, I'd rather let it grow.
Plus, I believe the mushrooms grew there because of the conditions, and removing the leaves changes the conditions and allows sunlight to dry out the soil.

ShLUbY Apr 26, 2013 1:03 am

some people just go out to get them, they don't educate themselves about the woods or about how to preserve morels for the future hunt... they just think more is better, which is ok, but it'd be nice if they did just a little research about what they're doing :)

alexjj Apr 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Like my Grandfather used to say if they are not sticking above the leaves to where you can see them then leave the ground undisturbed because the shrooms like the leaves and not bare soil.

tayjo Apr 28, 2013 6:58 am

I would bet a lot of what your seeing is caused by Turkey.! I have seen my prime areas tore up in recent years thinking just what you posted. Look for Q and L shaped bird poop in that area that'll tell you who's responsible!

alexjj Apr 28, 2013 10:53 am

No these are not Turkeys because I hunt them as well. There would be evidence of claw marks. I usually see where there have been a couple people working together doing this. Last year there were about 4 or 5 spots and all of them had a beer can or two around them along with Morel stumps.

miker Apr 28, 2013 11:44 am

I see this in the fall all the time, people looking for blewits, tearing the leaves and ground all up, just to get a few more shrooms, a few more ain't worth the damage they are doing,mike

alexjj Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Mike,
You are one of the smartest shroomers that I have seen on here since becoming a member in 2010. Keep up the good work and as always I appreciate your opinion. Good luck this year!

miker Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Thank ya Doug,I just try to get better hunting thru the years, good luck to ya also,mike