Michigan Morels index

Michigan Morels index (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My wife Debbie & Morels (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=13448)

Frank May 25, 2011 4:54 am

My wife Debbie & Morels

As most of you know, my wife Debbie has steadfastly refused to eat any mushroom, other than the Chicken Mushroom. That is one food which actually taste like chicken and has the same texture as chicken breast. She loves to hunt mushrooms with me, but just won't eat them.

Anyway...you're not going to believe this...

Debbie asked me to cook some fresh morels so that she could try them again. I was flabbergasted!
Sure, I replied, trying to look nonchalant.

So last night I cooked some yellows and grays. As these are a more mild taste, I thought she may like them better.
I halved them and dipped in egg wash and cracker crumbs. (Seems like you have to double dip them because just the wash alone will not stick real well the 1st time to the morels.)

Fried them with peanut oil and real butter to golden brown. These were our appetizers to our dinner of a chuck steak casserole/stew or beef and veggie bake.

She ate 5 morel halves all by themselves and said it didn't seem like she had that mushroom texture that she's afraid of, and they tasted okay.

AND THEN....

as I was scarfing up all the others we had cooked, I asked if she wanted any more. To my amazement, she said yes. And ate one more. Not bad, she said.

I'm so very proud of her for
finally pushing out her mom's aversion to mushrooms,
and trying them on her own, with an open mind. :thumbup: That is hard to do when it's ingrained from birth.

Tomorrow, she is willing to try some black morels sauteed up without any breading. Not holding my breath waiting for her to like those as much, but then you just never know.

My jaw is still hanging down from her eating, and liking, the yellow and gray ones.

Way To Go Debbie!

Now on to seafood, snails and liver. LOL

jeepfreak May 25, 2011 7:50 am

Re: My wife Debbie & Morels

That is wonderful to hear :thumbup: My wife also has that problem but it is with tomatoes and not mushrooms.

JonDaHighlander May 25, 2011 7:52 am

Happy for Debbie....too bad for Frank...there goes all your morels! Lol

Justapickin May 25, 2011 8:08 am

Thats awesome Frank........way to go Debbie.....

RedWing1 May 25, 2011 8:53 am

Welcome aboard, Debbie! :grin:

That is awesome! See what you've been missing? :wink:

shroonthumper May 25, 2011 9:48 am

Now you have t convert biker dude. LOL welcome to the morel madness debbie.

BikerDude May 25, 2011 9:53 am

Dredge anything in eggwash/crumbs fry in peanut oil & it's edible.

Have her try some of those re-contituted shredded tires you fed me a few yrs back & she'll reclaim her senses! lol

Mushroom Jack May 25, 2011 11:07 am

Frank, I feel your pain ! LOL....Same thing happen to me, with Ann. I sauted some nice Blacks and she really dove into them. Then last night I stuffed 9 nice Whites with Crab & Monterey Jack and fried them to a Golden Brown. I got TWO, is all.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...dMorels031.jpg

Tammy May 25, 2011 11:08 am

Good luck with that, Frank...

And Debbie, glad you liked them! I try them each year, but still haven't gotten to that point yet. Maybe this year when we deep fry the whites. Wow, wouldn't that just be something, for you and I in the same year? lol!!

And you think she liked to hunt for shrooms BEFORE?? ;)

Debbie May 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Maybe Frank will learn to like the whites/greys more than he has before. Afterall, if I keep eating them i'll have to go hunting more for them! lol Good luck Tam, hopefully you do! lol