Michigan Morels index

Michigan Morels index (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do deer eat morels? (http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=15309)

Kerstin May 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Do deer eat morels?

Do deer eat morels, or any other kind of fungus? The more evidence I find of deer in the area, the fewer morels I find! How about squirrels?

measuredude58 May 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: Do deer eat morels?

Found two morels this past weekend that had been eaten - a little of the top remained. Did not appear to be snails like I have often seen. There were a lot of elk prints in that area. Don't know who ate my morel before I got there.

jeepfreak May 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Yes they do, they do not necessarily seek them out solely to eat them but they will eat them. I have seen this with my own two eyes while Turkey hunting. They are full of nutrients and stuff and almost any animal will eat them if they feel like it.

Just to clear something up......I was talking about Deer.......forgot about Frank and his squirrels lol:)

Jochs May 15, 2012 11:53 pm

I was going to ask the same thing. The deer population in my area has really increased, and I just don't find the morels like I used to.
I have also flushed deer while mushroom hunting this year....as well as come across hoof prints and piles of scat.

Frank May 16, 2012 3:17 am

Mostly it is birds and squirrels that are attracted to mushrooms.
Other than bugs and snails/slugs.

I still remember, and can see in my memory, that darned red squirrel running up the tree with my Chants I had drying on the porch a few years ago. He got half of them on me. LOL He sat on a limb and ate them, and I was sure I saw him give me a furry paw toe. LOL

chigger May 17, 2012 11:25 am

I'm sure it was a "high 5" thank you Frank.

Frank May 18, 2012 3:36 am

Maybe Sharon, but I'm ptetty sure I saw some toes turned in. LOL

up north May 19, 2012 1:30 pm

I would have to say deer do not eat morels, we have a big deer run going through our property and I see deer using it all the time and they do not eat the morels growing along side it. We also leave morels to get bigger and we never have any missing. I know grouse eat mushrooms because I have seen their crops full of them when I clean them, of course these are not morels.

piperchar May 20, 2012 10:11 am

It seems to me that if deer ate morels, the woods would be barren. I cannot imagine a deer passing up some of the huge yellows that we found this week, if they do indeed eat them. One year, while morel hunting, we came upon a baby fawn in its nest. The doe was nowhere around, but there were morels scattered throughout the area. Wouldn't a nursing doe eat any and all sources of food in the vicinity? Just a thought . . . .

jeepfreak May 20, 2012 1:03 pm

I saw a deer eating morels in person, with my own 2 eyes so I know they do eat them. However like I mentioned previously, I do not know if they actually seek them out or not. It seems to me that they just eat them if they want to but prefer other things moreso.