View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:50 am   #4
Ohio Transplant
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA
Join Date: Feb 8, 2003
Posts: 1,997

 
Ohio Transplant's Avatar
Mushroom poisoning


Mushroom poisoning refers to symptoms that can vary from slight gastrointestinal discomfort to death resulting from ingestion of toxic substances present in a mushroom. The toxins present are metabolic byproducts produced by the fungus. Typically, mushroom poisoning is the result of a gatherer of wild mushrooms mistakenly identifying a toxic mushroom as a non-toxic or edible species. Because some edible and poisonous fungi have very similar appearances, mistakes are usually the result of misidentification based on superficial characteristics. Even very experienced wild mushroom gatherers are sometimes poisoned, despite being well aware of the risks.
Ohio Transplant is offline