Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Prayer Forum - Special Requests Remember my friend please

Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:48 am   #1
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Remember my friend please

My Cactus had to be put down on Wednesday and we buried him yesterday. Yes he was "only" a horse but he had an impact on not only those that got to meet him, but to those that only heard us all talk about him.

He helped me find my new center, it may not be the one I want but it is the one I have. He helped me over so many hurdles. Not just the fear of riding but the fear of falling, the fear of failing, how to be able to keep pushing until there was no push left in me.

Cactus helped my grandaughter Kennedy learn to ride, how to care for a horse and all the work that entails. She's going to be a horsewoman I think. He helped so many people here at Marilyn's. He was a awesome therapy horse. He'd have children that were scared to death of animals that large; standing there, touching him, grooming, feeding him (even in pouring rain). Many of those children eventually even rode on him.

He never offered one single bad mood, rear or kick. Even the equine dentist was amazed. He got Cactus, put on the brace then did the drilling in the old man's mouth. Never even pulled away. No meds and no restraints other than Marylin holding his halter rope.

The only time I saw him put the brakes on to refuse something, was the day his Vet came out last year. She wasn't there for him but that didn't matter a bit. He was NOT going closer, no sir, no way, no how!

He was the best first horse a person could ever have. He's left a gaping hole in my heart and hoofprints on my soul.

Debbie

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:48 pm   #2
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

Re: Remember my friend please

Losing a friend like that (even a four footed one) is tough. He isn't completely gone though. He left his legacy in the hearts of those who loved him.
May God grant you peace,
Sharon
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:00 pm   #3
dannismommi
Family member
Name: Roberta
Central, Michigan USA

Debbie. I am so sorry to here this sad news,I know how hard it must be on you, also, all the rest that were around him.

God be with you. love your Sis
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:36 pm   #4
Judy
Name: Judy
Central, Michigan USA
St. Johns

Smile Re: Remember my friend please

Dear Debbie,

Oh how I know what you are experiencing. Our horses are just like our family. I was just thinking the other day about when Jake's last day comes. I believe he is 23 years old and was our daughter's horse from the time he was 2 or 3. He is at her barn along with 8 others. She and I went this week to see War Horse. A good movie and moving esp. for those of us who have owned those 4 legged creatures. He sounds like he was such a fabulous animal. I had a mare like that, not a mean bone in her body. I feel so for you but remember all the good he provided when you needed it the most. Another horse may come along, it will never replace your friend but he may come close. You are in my thoughts and prayers Debbie. I hurt for you. I have never ridden a Paso Fino and would have liked to. You've got one up on me. Prayers Judy
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:12 pm   #5
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

I'm sorry to hear this, Debbie. There is no such thing as "only" a horse. Or "only" a dog. They become your friend, and part of the family. My thoughts are with you.

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:35 pm   #6
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

I agree with Brandt, Deb... "only" is purely relative. Sorry about your loss...

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:05 pm   #7
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Thank you all for your kind words. He was a special horse and a great buddy for me. I owe him alot.

Debbie

Happy Morel Dreams!