Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Trying to plan garden - need opinions.
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:11 pm   #11
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Trying to plan garden - need opinions.

Frank, you can do that, but you lose alot of productive area every year, just rotate your crops and supplement the soil with bagged sterile manure each year, you don't need alot, just a light scattering over the top of the soil in the springtime, rototill it in, plant, and you will have a bounty of crops,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:15 am   #12
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I know the minimum recommended for rotation is 4 years between plantings, but I won't be growing enough other veggies besides tomatoes to make this feasible. So I've come up with a 3 plot rotation plan.

But, I don't know if it would work or not. Please take a look around this link (don't know how long it will be up), and let me know if this is something that would work for 6 years.

I doubt I'll still be gardening by the time comes for the 7th year to leave it fallow for a year. Heck, I have serious doubts about keeping up with this garden. I figure it will either help me, or kill me. - Either way, I'll have fun for awhile.
-------------------------

PS. I've also read that planting tomatoes in same areas each year, allowed them to build up tolerance or resistance to diseases each succeeding year. Any truth to that?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:51 am   #13
sherri
Name: sherri
Southern, Michigan USA
Wayland

I simply do a raised bed garden it produces all i can want and then some. I use my compost to replentish them. Plant your carrots around your tomatoes, strawberries next to lettuce, it will keep the bugs from both. I use a lot of these companion gardening tips and have no bugs and very little to no disease problems. a 4x8 raised bed produces enough to feed a family of 6 (Tomato, bell pepper, lettuce, cucumber, strawberries, carrots, onion, garlic oregano, basil, cilantro, egg plant, anahiem pepper, spinach, raddish, peas, green beans) use trellis in them for vining plants and cages to contain all other plants like tomatoes, cukes & peppers. I easily get 40 - 50 lbs of tomatoes a season. 10 lbs of cukes. per bed I have 2 beds and the above is only in 1 bed. a 4 x 8 x 12 high. from scrap wood filled with composted dirt and top soil and mushroom mulch what ever I could get my hands on for free.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:25 am   #14
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Thank you Sherri. I plan on using some companion tips too, like the carrots, basil, peppers & etc.
However my garden will not be a raised bed. I'm looking at a rather large garden. LOL I can between 110 to 130+ quarts of just tomato products each year. (Tomatoes, juice and salsa.)

I thought planting Buckwheat, then tilling before it flowers and develops seed as a green manure, then 3 - 4 weeks later planting Cereal Rye for the winter cover, and tilling it in the spring, or just laying it over as a mulch if I was planting plants, rather than seeds in that spot.

But both buckwheat and rye attract deer. Rye is no problem as it will be planted at end of harvesting garden, but the buckwheat would be grown in summer. Would the two plots of buckwheat draw the deer away from the the other veggies, or draw them to it? I would hate to lay out a welcome mat for deer. LOL

Is there other cover crops that wouldn't attract deer so much?

Thanks for your input.

Frank

Last edited by Frank; Apr 21, 2012 at 5:49 am.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:29 am   #15
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Another question from the ignorant one (me)... LOL

If it is reccomended to rotate every 3 years, does that mean you can plant every 3 years in that spot, or does it mean only plant every 4th year, leaving 3 full years between? Not sure if I explained it right, but hope you get my meaning.

For instance: does 3 year between planting mean

Tomatoes in 2012 and tomatoes again in 2015
- or -
Tomatoes in 2012 and tomatoes again in 2016?

Frank

Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:11 pm   #16
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Frank 2012 and 2015 is the ticket for rotation, just keep in mind tomatoes, corn and potatoes rob the ground of nutrients every year, that is why you have to supplement the soil with natural foods the year ya plant them and the year after,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:13 am   #17
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Thanks miker, I appreciate that.
The way I've planed out is every 2 years and every 3rd year. You think I am okay as long as I plant cover plants to rebuild at least once in the in between years.

Frank

Last edited by Frank; Apr 21, 2012 at 5:51 am.