Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Miscellaneous Photo's Poison Ivy and Oak.
Miscellaneous Photo's Non-Mushroom photographs of wildlife, kids, pets, fishing, hunting, hobbies & what have you.

Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:32 am   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Poison Ivy and Oak.

Here are some pictures of Poison Ivy/Oak. Poison Ivy is a variable plant, being a creeping ground hugging vine, a tree climbing vine, and a shrub. As a shrub, it often has toothed leaves and is called Poison Oak.
The first 3 pictures are some grotesque Poison Ivy vines with branches growing out of them with huge leaves I took last fall. The vines are climbing a Black Cherry Tree in the photos.
The next picture is a Poison Ivy leaf.
The last few pictures are of Poison Oak, a shrubby form of Poison Ivy.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	pivy1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	8395   Click image for larger version

Name:	pivy2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	8396   Click image for larger version

Name:	pivy3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	8397   Click image for larger version

Name:	ivy1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	8398   Click image for larger version

Name:	poak1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	8399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	poak2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	8400   Click image for larger version

Name:	poak3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	8401  

Jeff O.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:40 am   #2
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

That is good to show people because there are many people out there, including regular outdoors people who do not know what poison ivy looks like. However, in the image with 63kb there is also a grape vine in the bottom of the picture.....which many people confuse with psoinon ivy because it is in vine form. Poison Ivy usually turn red in the fall when leaves turn.

Also do not forget that a person can usually avoid contracting poison ivy by washing with regular soap and water within 15 minutes of initial contact. Poison oak and poison ivy are 2 different species and poison ivy is smooth leafed while poison oak has lobes or jagged edges but both species have 3 leaves. Both species also turn redish colours in the fall.

You cannot contract poison ivy or poison oak through the air UNLESS you are burning it and that is a bridge you will NOT want to cross as it can be deadly if you breath in the toxic fumes from them being burned.

Poison ivy and oak cause serious rashes through an oil like substance that is found throughout the entire plant, including the root systems.

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.

Last edited by jeepfreak; Sep 11, 2012 at 2:51 am. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:15 am   #3
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I didn't notice the grape vine. Poison Ivy has 3 leaves, and a good rule to live by is "Leaves of 3, let them be."

Jeff O.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:23 am   #4
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

For sure on the 3 leaves! Never a good thing to get into contact with any of that stuff.

I just didn't want some people mistaking the grape leaves for ivy or oak.........grape leaves are really good to use in cooking such as stuffed grape leaves similar to pigs in a blanket:) Or even in a salad!

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:34 am   #5
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Very thankful I am one of the minority that has never reacted to this stuff. I know I've been in/around it but never reacted.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:21 pm   #6
MapleRiverSalmon
Name: Wayne
Central, Michigan USA
Merrill

I have been caught rolling in it and couldnt get it. A guy I worked with would get it once a week, while i worked right next to him ivy and itch free. Its good to be good

I've only ever found one mushroom setting on the couch!
And that was a morel that rolled under the coffee table when I was cleaning them!
Old May 7, 2013, 2:49 am   #7
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I've heard that everyone is immune to poison ivy at first, and most people usually lose that immunity when they first touch poison ivy.
Some people can be immune to it for years then finally lose their immunity. (My neighbor, e.g.) My neighbor used to be able to touch the stuff and not get a rash, but a few years ago it finally gave him a rash.

Jeff O.