Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Miscellaneous Photo's Poison Ivy and Oak.
Miscellaneous Photo's Non-Mushroom photographs of wildlife, kids, pets, fishing, hunting, hobbies & what have you.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:32 am   #1
Jochs
Full Member
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor
Join Date: Feb 26, 2010
Posts: 1,558

 
Jochs's Avatar
Poison Ivy and Oak.

Here are some pictures of Poison Ivy/Oak. Poison Ivy is a variable plant, being a creeping ground hugging vine, a tree climbing vine, and a shrub. As a shrub, it often has toothed leaves and is called Poison Oak.
The first 3 pictures are some grotesque Poison Ivy vines with branches growing out of them with huge leaves I took last fall. The vines are climbing a Black Cherry Tree in the photos.
The next picture is a Poison Ivy leaf.
The last few pictures are of Poison Oak, a shrubby form of Poison Ivy.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	pivy1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	8395   Click image for larger version

Name:	pivy2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	8396   Click image for larger version

Name:	pivy3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	8397   Click image for larger version

Name:	ivy1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	8398   Click image for larger version

Name:	poak1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	8399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	poak2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	8400   Click image for larger version

Name:	poak3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	8401  
__________________

Jeff O.
Jochs is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:40 am   #2
jeepfreak
Full Member
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola
Join Date: Apr 7, 2011
Posts: 298

 
jeepfreak's Avatar
Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

That is good to show people because there are many people out there, including regular outdoors people who do not know what poison ivy looks like. However, in the image with 63kb there is also a grape vine in the bottom of the picture.....which many people confuse with psoinon ivy because it is in vine form. Poison Ivy usually turn red in the fall when leaves turn.

Also do not forget that a person can usually avoid contracting poison ivy by washing with regular soap and water within 15 minutes of initial contact. Poison oak and poison ivy are 2 different species and poison ivy is smooth leafed while poison oak has lobes or jagged edges but both species have 3 leaves. Both species also turn redish colours in the fall.

You cannot contract poison ivy or poison oak through the air UNLESS you are burning it and that is a bridge you will NOT want to cross as it can be deadly if you breath in the toxic fumes from them being burned.

Poison ivy and oak cause serious rashes through an oil like substance that is found throughout the entire plant, including the root systems.
__________________

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.

Last edited by jeepfreak; Sep 11, 2012 at 2:51 am. Reason: Forgot to add something
jeepfreak is offline  
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:15 am   #3
Jochs
Full Member
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor
Join Date: Feb 26, 2010
Posts: 1,558

 
Jochs's Avatar
Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

I didn't notice the grape vine. Poison Ivy has 3 leaves, and a good rule to live by is "Leaves of 3, let them be."
__________________

Jeff O.
Jochs is offline  
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:23 am   #4
jeepfreak
Full Member
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola
Join Date: Apr 7, 2011
Posts: 298

 
jeepfreak's Avatar
Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

For sure on the 3 leaves! Never a good thing to get into contact with any of that stuff.

I just didn't want some people mistaking the grape leaves for ivy or oak.........grape leaves are really good to use in cooking such as stuffed grape leaves similar to pigs in a blanket:) Or even in a salad!
__________________

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
jeepfreak is offline  
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:34 am   #5
Bachflock
Full Member
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon
Join Date: Sep 7, 2007
Posts: 3,315

 
Bachflock's Avatar
Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

Very thankful I am one of the minority that has never reacted to this stuff. I know I've been in/around it but never reacted.
__________________

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Bachflock is offline  
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:21 pm   #6
MapleRiverSalmon
Full Member
Name: Wayne
Central, Michigan USA
Merrill
Join Date: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 145

 
MapleRiverSalmon's Avatar
Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

I have been caught rolling in it and couldnt get it. A guy I worked with would get it once a week, while i worked right next to him ivy and itch free. Its good to be good
__________________

I've only ever found one mushroom setting on the couch!
And that was a morel that rolled under the coffee table when I was cleaning them!
MapleRiverSalmon is offline  
Old May 7, 2013, 2:49 am   #7
Jochs
Full Member
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor
Join Date: Feb 26, 2010
Posts: 1,558

 
Jochs's Avatar
Re: Poison Ivy and Oak.

I've heard that everyone is immune to poison ivy at first, and most people usually lose that immunity when they first touch poison ivy.
Some people can be immune to it for years then finally lose their immunity. (My neighbor, e.g.) My neighbor used to be able to touch the stuff and not get a rash, but a few years ago it finally gave him a rash.
__________________

Jeff O.
Jochs is offline  
    Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 4:23 pm.


Michigan Morels.com  - Copyright ©1996 - 2017
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.