Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > RECIPES What is your version of slumgullion?
RECIPES Welcome to our kitchen!

Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:47 am   #1
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Icon16 What is your version of slumgullion?

Just curious as to what is your version of Slumgullion?

My own take is that it is made in many countries and called many things, but is basically the same dish. Use whatever meat and veggies you have to make either a thick or thin dish. Thick it's goulash to me, thin, it's a stew.

Supposedly it is an old hobo (or miners) concoction made with whatever they had. Sounds about right to me.

Goulash
stew
hash
sheperds pie

Pretty much anything you could do to stretch out the meager meat into a larger portioned meal.

HA! Most of our meals would qualify for that!

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:43 pm   #2
aml991
Name: albert
Central, Michigan USA
bay city

Re: What is your version of slumgullion?

sounds about right to me when i was young mo mother and grandmother would throw things in a pot and call it slumgullion. sometimes with pork or beef could even be chicken or duck we used whatever we had at the time for a large family. we had us 6 kids mom dad and grandma and grandma, sometimes even cousins so we had to make things go farther
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:47 am   #3
daddin458
Name: Jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Battle Creek

I think the most common or traditional definition is as you described, basically whatever meat, veggies and leftovers you have on hand thrown together in a pot and made into a kind of stew.

My family's version, however, consists of a can each of ravioli, beefaroni, spaghetti w/meatballs, chilli, and drained whole kernel corn mixed and heated in one pot. Its especially popular (and easy!) while we are camping.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:04 am   #4
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Sounds kind of weird Jon, but I bet I would eat it in camp as long as it got me out of cooking. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old May 15, 2012, 1:14 pm   #5
cjhsa
Name: Craig
Southern, Michigan USA

My Mom always made hers with what would be a standard midwestern chili recipe, except that paprika was substituted for the "hot" crappy chile powder (because midwesterners think cumin and oregano are hot), and pasta noodles for the beans (for those that put beans in their chili).

We rarely had chile because my Dad didn't like the chile powder and Mom didn't like the beans. So we ate a lot of "goulash".

I rarely make it any longer. Instead I make good chile with chunks of beef or coarse ground lean beef, and a variety of dried chiles reconstituted in hot water (deseeded) and blended along with onions and garlic and seasonings, with beans optional. If we're feeling particularly poor we'll toss in both beans AND potatoes.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:53 am   #6
Jovich
Name: Joe
Southern, Michigan USA

For those who are curious as to the origins of the word "slumgullion", here you are:

www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-slu2.htm

I always assumed that it was a Czech word, as my grandma always used to make it and she was Czech. Guess she had me fooled!

Her version was stew meat, onion, celery, tomatoes, and macaroni. Spiced up with paprika. Sometimes mushrooms, sometimes not. Sometimes green pepper sometimes not.

Last edited by Jovich; May 15, 2014 at 10:58 am. Reason: addendum