Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's Oysters/fall
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:02 am   #1
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Oysters/fall

I am trying to get the hang of posting photos.

Yesterday I went out to check on a weird polypore and had to go check a patch of chickens I had been picking every other few days. The chickens had passed their prime but I did find a lot of oysters that had yet to be touched by bugs or slugs.Click image for larger version

Name:	oysters.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	9613

As I was picking the oysters I saw a bright orange in the distance but it wasn't chicken! Click image for larger version

Name:	jacks.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	9614

This photo really disturbed me. We are falling into the same pattern as last year. Does this mean we are in for another brutal winter? Click image for larger version

Name:	fall.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	9615

I cooked up the oysters by putting them in a big pot and pouring chicken broth on them. I sautéed what was left of my squishy chicken of the woods and a few chants and added them to the soup. I'm going to add some green onions and green peppers. I'll have lunch for my up coming work week.

My prediction for fall Hens is I will find my first baby hen before August 15th. We are leaving for NC sometime around then where I will pick bushels of chants. I'm not kidding you, last time I was there I found thousands. I'm hoping it's going to be the same this year.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:39 pm   #2
sanilacshroomer
Enhanced Membership
Name: paul
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

Re: Oysters/fall

Is the orange mushrooms jack-o-lanterns ?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:22 pm   #3
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Yes, it's Jack O'lantern sorry I forgot to say that. Pretty to look at and bring home to see if they will glow but that's all. Just in case we have some novice 'shroomers DON'T EAT IT. It will make you sick.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:20 am   #4
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Nice pics Doreen, and you are doing fine on posting your pics too.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:23 am   #5
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Oh yes.... don't mention winter! Shudder. I'm still not thawed out from last one! LOL

I thought we would have a hot summer following such a cold winter, but other than a few days, not so. Rather cool. Lots of cool nights into the 40's at night at end of July.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:29 am   #6
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I've seen trees around wetlands start showing fall color in July before, and the winter that followed was a mild one.
Not sure why trees like Red Maples and ash trees start changing really early when in wetlands, perhaps they are too wet and under stress.

Jeff O.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:11 am   #7
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I'm thinking it's the stress too, Jeff.

Frank, I'm sitting here in a heavy sweatshirt and I'm still cold! This year is a repeat of last year. I'm expecting the honey mushrooms to be over by the 3rd week of August. I picked over 2 dozen hens last August. So far the mushrooming in my area has been terrible. The rain went N and S of us up until this week. We finally got some rain so I have high expectations when I go shroomin Sunday.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:31 pm   #8
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Coldest July ever?!?! Nice pics
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:16 pm   #9
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I'll have to visit the Grand Mere area in the near future.
My cousin and his wife celebrated their 5 year wedding anniversary today, and I have a roll of prints I took at their wedding which have pics of trees changing color on them around North Lake near Grand Mere State Park in Berrien County. The pics are at the beginning of the roll with the wedding photos, so I'm guessing they were taken in mid-late July. IIRC I went to Warren Dunes the day before the wedding, so they may have been taken on 7/31/09.
There are some Silver Maples in a swamp near me that are starting to "blush." These trees are with some trees that died in 2009 after the water table rose in the spring. (I think these are hybrid "Freeman Maples, a natural hybrid between Red and Silver Maples, as Silver Maples usually don't turn red.)

As for the coldest July on record, I think it was the 3rd coldest in South Bend, IN, the coldest on record in Indianapolis. Out west it has been hot and dry, and there have been wildfires in the northwest. Our skies in SW MI have been hazy all week from the smoke from those fires.

Jeff O.