Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Agaricus?
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:41 pm   #1
Steinpilz
Name: Matt
Southern, New York USA

Agaricus?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first attempt to post a photo, so I hope I don't mess it up.

First off, I haven't eaten this nor do I plan too. I'm just trying to better my ID skills. Up until now I've avoided all white mushrooms with gills. White on white ain't right, as miker put it. Actually, come to think of it, I've avoided all mushrooms with gills. I do most of my hunting alone and my attitude is definitely better safe than sorry. I am, however, interested in learning Agaricus, honies and blewits.

These were growing in a park under evergreen trees where I jog. They have fruited a few times in the last month. I'm thinking agaricus grow in this exact spot because the older specimans I have seen have the dark brown gills. These pictures are of younger mushrooms. There were no older ones today.

I'm doing a spore print now. it's been 5 hours and I would call the the results inconclusive. it might be vaguely purplish, but that also might just be moisture.

My guess using the audabon guide:
not amanita: no cup
not campestris: gills are grey not pink, even on the very young one
maybe abruptly bulbous agaricus?: doesn't seem to bruise yellow
maybe arvensis?: stem didn't seem to bruise yellow
maybe something I didn't consider (the main reason i avoid eating all but the easy ones).

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:42 pm   #2
Steinpilz
Southern, New York USA

top view
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:43 pm   #3
Steinpilz
Southern, New York USA

bottom view
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:44 pm   #4
Steinpilz
Southern, New York USA

split view

Is there a way to post more than one photo at a time?

Thanks for looking.

-Matt
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:50 pm   #5
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Matt, jung pferd Ich glauben, Ich seen gelb blauer auf stiel,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:41 am   #6
Steinpilz
Southern, New York USA

Danke schoen Miker. Ich bin immer bereit, Deutsch mit dir zu ueben. In Deutschland nennt man diesen Pilz einfach Champignon.

Spore print wound up being inconclusive. Maybe it was too young. What is it that you see that tips you off to arvensis?

-Matt
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:09 pm   #7
Wanderer
Name: Viola

Ja das ist ein Champion Aka Horse mushroom.
On the bottom it has a conk Vail dead give away.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:40 pm   #8
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Matt, the cog veil, and the goldish glow on the stem from where you were handling it,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:49 am   #9
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

I'll being visiting my Daughter next month in Germany. Have you hunted shrooms there?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:21 am   #10
Steinpilz
Southern, New York USA

I was introduced to mushroom hunting while living in Berlin. It is much more common there than in the states. Most people just collected boletes, chantrelles, and parasols, though. Some also collected honey mushrooms. I never heard any talk about morels or hen of the woods.

Boletes were much more common there than where I've hunted in the states (Pa and Ny). A couple of times I hit major king bolete finds (Steinpilz is the german word for the king). The same bolete rules apply there that apply here.

You also see the same species of poisonous amanitas, and also the red form of the fly agaric, which is a very beautiful mushroom. I've only found the yellow form here on the east coast.

The germans take pride on their mushroomy woods and eating wild mushrooms is very much a part of their culture. When I moved back to the states a couple of years ago, I was actually afraid that I wouldn't be able to continue with my new hobby! Then I took a walk in the woods behind my parents' house, found about 5 big chantrelle patches, and knew I'd be ok.

Now I think the mushroom hunting is better here. 10 times the space, and very little competition. But find some oak woods in sept-oct in germany and you will find mushrooms! Where will you be?

Tags
agaricus arvensis, horse mushroom