Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Opinion of the conditions...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 27, 2015, 11:25 pm   #11
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: Opinion of the conditions...

My opinion on TP is that Charmin Ultra is the best.
OH...you meant Tulip Poplar...sorry!
90% of the blacks I found this year were under Tulip Poplar. This tree occurs mainly south of Grand Rapids and is absent in Manistee N.F., as its range is mainly south of Grand Rapids. It is quite common south of GR.

I found my first yellows around Apples and White Pines this year on a friend's property in Allegan Co. Actually only one was by a White Pine.
I've always hunted for yellows around Black Ash in Manistee N.F. All yellows (and yellow stumps) as well as Verpas were all within 5 ft of Black Ash trees. I always walk looking down in the woods, occasionally looking up at the trees. The yellows I found after locating an ash tree...the verpas I found first, then discovered they were growing by an ash tree.

I've never had a good dead elm find, but I have observed that dead elms in the open are often surrounded by Poison Ivy, so be careful when checking around dead elms. In the deep forest, I don't recall seeing any Poison Ivy.

I'll have to do some research on morels and the acidity of the soil they grow in . Aspens and White Pines often are found in acidic soils. I don't think Tulip Poplars are too picky about the soil they grow in, as they grow in alkaline soils alongside Sycamores, and in acidic soils with White Pines in the dunes of SW MI.

Jeff O.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:49 am   #12
FroggTogg
Name: Jordan
Central, Michigan USA

Overall it was a bad year for me, same as lot of you, overabundance of people in the woods and less shrooms. Even the places where I know others didn't go just didn't produce like last year. I had my best year last year followed by my worste year this year. Oh well, we can hope for another great year this coming season!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:09 pm   #13
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I found about 6 nice blacks near St. Ignace on Memorial Day, and I noticed after mid-May the morel reports seemed to drop off. I'm sure they were finding them across the UP in June...but probably not reporting them to keep us trolls (who live below the bridge) from trampling their woods and taking their 'shrooms.
St. Ignace and the Straits area had a noticeably cooler microclimate, as trees were just starting to leaf out there. As I headed south, the trees were about 2 weeks ahead of those at the Straits near the rest area about 9 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge.

Jeff O.