Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Dried Morels Getting Wet
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:34 pm   #1
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Dried Morels Getting Wet

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Spring will be here soon. I'm hoping for some advice here. I recently realized I had a problem...

So basically over the summer, I stayed out of town and left my dried mushrooms here in the basement, where they always stay. Only thing is, normally I run a dehumidifier all summer, and that didn't run this past summer.

Flash forward to now. I realized that the mushrooms that were kept in the basement over the summer had a bit of moisture get into the bags. They aren't exactly soaked, but they don't have that typical dry crunch that I'm used to. The moisture is noticeable but they're far from soggy. I don't see any mold in any of the bags yet.

MY QUESTION IS: Are they still reasonably safe to eat? Do they need to be used ASAP? Can I re-dry them? ...What is the best thing to do? Anyone have any experience with this? I'm bummed out; I've got about a dozen quart sized Zip-Lock freezer bags full of morels, and really don't want to waste them.

Additionally, are there any ways to prevent this in the future? Would using Food Saver bags keep the moisture out better than Zip-Lock bags?

Josh
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:14 am   #2
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Dried Morels Getting Wet

I did a test with Morels Josh. Several years ago.

Some dried in plastic Ziplocks, some stored in canning jars with lid, and some stored in a burlap bag only. All three came through just fine after 3 or 4 years.

If they is NO mold present, then just re-dry them, and you should be fine. In my experence storing it tightly capped canning jars, or vac bags, or in bags that will breath moisture both in and out, will work.

I've had some in ziplocks for a couple of years with no problems too.

Sounds to me like you didn't dry them enough to begin with.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:17 pm   #3
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

I'm with frank josh.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:35 pm   #4
MrJosePetes
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Oh I'm pretty sure they were dry enough initially. I always dry them until they're brittle and crunchy. In the past, everytime I have pulled out dried morels for use they've been perfect. It was only after this summer that I noticed a problem, then upon checking, every bag that was stored down there over the summer had a tiny bit of moisture. But any mushrooms I had dried after moving back home (several bags of hens) were 100% fine. I really think moisture just seeped in. The basement gets very humid during the summer.

Either way, I appreciate the advice. I plan on going back through each bag this weekend to make sure there's zero mold and try to redry them. Might have to see if my dad's old food saver still works.

Can't afford to waste these if this season ends up like last year's! :/

Josh
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:27 pm   #5
chuckin
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

I'd say less room for error in jars, I use both but have more confidence in the jars. I froze some perch in zip lock freezer bags recently, and literally had a bad box. I put water in over the filets and then squeeze out the air. I was constantly getting bubbles and realized air was getting in the corners even when completely sealed. Not cool, considering how much they charge for the dang things...good luck
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:35 pm   #6
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

What did you do with the 99 hens you found?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:20 pm   #7
MrJosePetes
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

I think it was 90 even, would have to go back and see where I've got it wrote down. Mostly sautéed and froze, a few bags dried. Freezer is still full

Josh