Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's Can you believe it?! Squirrel n shroom
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:43 pm   #1
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Can you believe it?! Squirrel n shroom

A squirrel running off with a mushroom. Bad pic but watched him pick while deer hunting.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	10700  
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:46 am   #2
chuckin
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Re: Can you believe it?! Squirrel n shroom

I've seen this before too Jon, with red squirrels! Makes me wonder which critters are my biggest competition, outside of humans...I also saw several painted suillus stashed in the crotches of tree branches one time. Had to be squirrels! They were way off the ground in white pine along the little Manistee river.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:46 pm   #3
Crazy Dave
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA
Buchanan

Time to bring the pellet gun mushroom hunting. Dang fuzzy rats!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:02 pm   #4
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I wonder if it was a squirrel that tore up a Lion's Mane I found a few years back.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:48 pm   #5
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

I've found morels in tree forks too.
I have a new theory. New for me anyway. I read a bit about how many shrooms the flying squirrels use, and how they might help disperse them though the spores surviving passage through their guts. I think reds might help a bit too, but flying seem to be shroom experts.
I also have started "the 1940's project". I have, for some areas (particularly Washtenaw though), areal photo sets from 1940, 1960, 1970 etc, but it's the 1940 ones that matter. It is ghastly. Only tiny postage stamps of forest are visible. Horrible erosion is visible. You can see that some fields are reverting to wild land where state has resumed ownership - farmers were loosing their shirts on the Fort Wayne Morraine near me. You could barely make a living when it was under horse power, but competing with farmers on better land in the more modern age was impossible. (See P.S. Lovejoy and read St. Aldo's obituary of him.) Anyway, the only places I find some shrooms (like big chants, hedgehogs) is in these oldest forests, and maybe flying squirrels did not use any other places - until about now. So maybe regeneration of many fungi can finally happen again. Most of the cathedral forest I already know - I've used this land about 100 days per year for 40 years. But a very few acres with old trees were new to me. Even ones I did know are ones I don't regularly visit in Aug-Oct for shrooms - there are so many possible spots, that it's hard, and I'm not thinking. I've found new deer hunting spots too.
Now if I only had full multi-spectral images of the spring forests, so I could train algorithms to identify high densities of various tree species. I might first try American White Elm, and then blueberry. I could make them look like a field of christmas trees on fire, by forming a linear combination of wavelengths that they are high and low in, trained on places where I know what's true. Not sure we are allowed the data cause it reveals so much.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:18 am   #6
Crazy Dave
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA
Buchanan

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. I'll take one of the mushroom detectors when ya get it done :D