Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Ash borer 2nd generation - question
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:43 am   #1
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

Ash borer 2nd generation - question

I have wondered this ever since the Emerald Ash Borer Outbreak began. Around me in Northwest Ohio, we were first hit about 10 years ago. At the time I noticed that about 90% of the trees the bug hits are larger than 6" in diameter. Well, the borer swept through our area and ate up most of those trees. Now those trees that were smaller have now matured. I noticed in the woods today several ash trees that were at a size where they start producing mushrooms, some about 10" in diameter, and the bug hasn't gotten to them.

What do you think? I haven't seen an Emerald Ash Borer around here in a couple years - there haven't been any Ash trees to feed on. So, have they moved on? Are these trees just a fluke, and they will eventually get hit? Are the ash developing resistance to the bug? I was just curious as to anyone's thoughts on it and if you have noticed the same thing.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:57 am   #2
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Re: Ash borer 2nd generation - question

I have noticed that some of the smaller trees recovered from the ash borer, and that some of the larger trees that have fallen or that I cut down have suckers at the stumps. What I'm wondering is why morels grow by dead elms but not by dead ash? And I have a few spots that they logged the big oaks out of last winter and have not found any morels in those spots, I think they are ruined
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:35 pm   #3
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
kalamazoo

SR, you answered your own question correctly. Borer populations would ebb and flow with the amount of "food". So the initial attack would be the worst and borer populations ebb and flow. Also, reports of the populations of EAB crashing after the cold winters a couple years back have been reported. Mostly up north away from the lakes.

Ash like Elms tend to get to a certain age/size and then are attacked. Emerald Ash borer like Dutch Elm disease is here to stay. We are likely to continue to find Ash and Elm, but no longer the large trees of long ago.

Ash in particular take several years before the tree dies. dying form the top down before the roots succumb. The Ash may appear alive before dying.

Ash are found naturally in areas American Elm are found. Typically low areas in S Michigan/N Ohio and should trigger " I should take a look over there!"
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:28 pm   #4
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

I figured they would decrease with the dwindling ash, but I had hoped that they had died out, especially with those 2 cold winters we had like you said. With Dutch Elm Disease, the Black Willow is a carrier of the disease, so even when it ebbs, the disease is still lurking in the area, but the ash borer can't hang around without the ash as food. I haven't found blacks around aspen around here, so the loss of ash has hurt them. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed it. I appreciate the input.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:17 am   #5
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Yes I have three locations that were mostly ash, on any season I could walk out with well over 100 blacks from either spot. Now it's more like 20-30. Another terrible occurrence is the logging of oaks in my area, a few spots that I hunt have been logged of all the big White oaks, a favorite tree for yellows in my area.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:49 am   #6
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

Invasive species.org/insects is very complete site for information.

A new infestation of asian beetles is appearing and they like to kill several tree varieties.