Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Where to go
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:23 am   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Where to go

Having my cabin in Michigan near to Hale on Sage Lake and not knowning the areas, I was told that a great place to hunt, which is near to me, is Maltby Hills? Were is this place? Can to just start hunting it or is it private land and need permission ? Can you just pull over and go into the woods around here. There are lots of forests in Michigan and i dont know how it works here. Thank you for your help. Ted

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:45 pm   #2
Lew89
Name: Jonathan
Central, Michigan USA
Howell & West Branch

Re: Where to go

TED. Get out your Atlas and you will see that the Maltby Hills are part of the Huron National Forest. Public use/ ORV required if you drive beyond the parking areas like all State/Nat'l land. ORV/Motorcycle trails throughout.
Around Sage lake, most of what you see is private, stay off of my woodlot :-).
I believe it's the South Branch store in South Branch that has Morel TShirts Etc..Parking area close by. Pizza in Long Lake edible. So you get the idea that the area may get picked over quickly, but if you have a 2 or 4 wheeler and get on the A or B loops you can get into areas not commonly travelled. Good luck-Big area- Need to know what to look for. Can't be any more specific--"I's got's my spots too-Don't ya know".
Ogemaw County is my pickin' territory. They are there, just need to know when & where. Latest report from my spies up there: still a good 1 to 2 weeks away. Thinkin' the usual: Mothers Day time frame--peak. If you get into them good-leave some for me.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:57 am   #3
morell master
Name: matt
Northern, Michigan USA

Ted the maltby hills is a huge area lots of state land it goes from Westbranch over to your area.you should be able to find some now they are up.good luck
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:43 am   #4
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Thanks for the help

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:09 am   #5
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Lots of pickers in the Maltby hills also...