Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Anyone finding anything edilble?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:38 am   #11
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

Re: Anyone finding anything edilble?

I've found chickens but most were past prime. A few places that always have chicken of the woods have not had any so far.

With the rain today in Indiana I expect to find chants and perhaps Shaggy parasols later in the week. It has been too dry.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:41 pm   #12
sanilacshroomer
Name: paul
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

found several blewits, 2 chants, chicken mushroom & horse mushrooms in the last couple days and some oysters also.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:33 am   #13
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I've been doing pretty well with the yellow pored chickens. It seems they aren't dependent on the rain as much as other mushrooms.

I found one small hen of the woods yesterday growing about 3 feet off of the ground on a tree that had been uprooted years ago. I like finding them like that because they are very clean.

Found two small aborting entolomas on the ground and left them be.
Picked one reishi and a few dozen honey buttons. There is almost nothing growing in southern Ingham co. I haven't seen a single black trumpet and more amazingly... no Old Man of the Woods!

I see small amounts of oysters scattered about, but nothing fresh enough to pick.

The turkey tails looked like they were starting to fruit last week but they are still very small and infrequent.

I hope it's better picking around the rest of the state.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:31 am   #14
msjones500
Name: mike
Central, Michigan USA
midland

Whats the best mushrooms to look fer this late it the year?(newbie question)
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:39 pm   #15
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

I'll mention a few, but I live mostly in deciduous forest. In rough order of my desires:
1) Black trumpet. Not common as I'd like near me (Wastenaw and Jackson). Moss.
2) A bolete much like Boletus edulis I pick up north (au sable and higher, maybe Rifle river works too). Darker top. Spruce/Hemlock. There are other boletes, but it gets tricky cause of the number of species.
3) Chanterelles if any more are coming this year. Oak near me, Beech if you've got it.
4) Lobsters, also up north for me, and more often in August.
5) Hedgehogs. Oaks down here, but Beech up north. Old growth helps. I have 1940 areal photographs that help me.
6) The white pored chicken of the woods (Laetiporus cincinnatus). The more common sulfur shelf is merely edible by comparison. May only down here. Data desired.
7) Soon, on black oak (for me), the hen-of-the-woods is edible, popular, and big.
8) Oyster shroom (and angel wings) are big and popular.
9) I should have put Suillus granulatus and pictus higher on the list. Pictus is easy to ID. In fact I am restricting my list to not-too-hard species. There are other outstanding species that I'd be obliged to give warnings about if I named them. Pictus requires white pine it seems.
10) There will be a ton of Suillus americanus (chicken fat shroom I've seen it called here) soon. I'm not a big fan, but I've seen people write that if first dried, it can be put to delicious use - thanks for those lessons folks. I plan experiments. Mostly white pine for me, I'm not sure how cosmopolitan.
11) I probably forgot some, but that's 10.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:46 pm   #16
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

I just looked and Smith lists our giant puffball as one of the better edibles. I can't explain that.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:27 am   #17
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I've heard giant puffballs are good cut up in soups.
As for Chicken Fat Suillus...look for them around Eastern White Pine. I have found them growing in the lawn-mowed grass around Eastern White Pines in the past in Van Buren County.

Jeff O.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:09 am   #18
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

Shaggy Parasol
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:10 pm   #19
Nicoli7153
Name: Nick
Northern, Michigan USA

Honey mushrooms! I find them mostly on dead branches, especially old slash piles where vegetation has begun to re-emerge.