Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Legality of picking wild leeks on public
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 4, 2008, 11:44 am   #1
thewilliams'
Name: Chris
Northern, Michigan USA
Alpena

Legality of picking wild leeks on public

Is it legal to pick wild leeks on public land? I know it is illegal to pick wildflowers, do leeks fall under this same law?
Old May 4, 2008, 1:20 pm   #2
KilgoreTrout
Name: Erik
Southern, Michigan USA

You can only pick them from your own property. It's technically illegal to take wild leeks from public parks. I looked it up a few years ago.

And if you do take them from a park and get pulled over, there is no way you can hide the fact that you have leeks. Our car stunk for weeks
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:51 pm   #3
jnorris32
Name: Jacob
Central, Michigan USA

Re: Legality of picking wild leeks on public

Are you sure? I thought you were legally allowed to pick anything as long as it's for personal use.

I'll need to look this up..
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:14 am   #4
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I'm pretty sure it is legal to pick leeks on public land in michigan. It's not like they are scarce or endangered. Good grief, there are acres of them crowding out other growth.

I know that I ran into a DNR officer a few years and got to talking about mushroom hunting, and told him how I like the leeks just as much as the mushrooms. He didn't blink an eye, and said he too liked wild leeks.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:08 am   #5
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

i think it's no problem as long as people are responsible about it. dont overharvest a small patch, and try not to make a mess when you dig them up, or people will eventually make a fuss. someone else brought this up on the mi sportsman forums and i thought it was a good point. i do know that in parts of canada they were so overpicked they put strict regulations on them, and we dont want that here, so let's be responsible about it folks. but as far as the legality of it goes, i think frank is right. obviously certain parks have certain rules and that should always be looked into first. can't pick anything in the metro parks, etc. but yeah up north theres so many ramps in some places, you could pick all day and not make a dent.

Josh
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:54 pm   #6
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Miker taught me about how's the Detroit metro area parks were picked clean by foreigners years ago. I know you will never really see him down here anymore but he said they used to just like up north I pick them up north don't ever think you'll have to worry about them going away
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:33 pm   #7
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Here is a link to the rules on Michigan State Lands.
http://www.michigandnr.com/publicati...les_Poster.pdf

Scroll down to Rule 299.92(h)
I tried cutting and pasting it but it came out mostly looking like a list instead of sentences.
Basically it says "it is illegal to damage, destroy, or remove a tree, including a dead or downed tree, including woody debris, shrub, wildflower, grass, or vegetation. Except in a wildlife food plot, this subdivision does not apply to picking and removing mushrooms, berries, and edible fruits or nuts for personal use."
Since leeks are not mushrooms, or edible fruits or nuts, I imagine it is illegal to gather them. You can pick mushrooms or fruits/nuts without damaging the fungus/plant, but it is pretty hard not to damage a leek when you pick off its leaves or rip the whole thing out of the ground.

Leek qualifies as a vegetable, not a fruit.
I am not sure of what the rules are in a National Forest.
I tried googling it and found only info on rare or threatened plants.
I don't think it is illegal to pick them in a National Forest, and they are very common in places of Manistee N.F.

I found this helpful link on how to harvest, clean, and store Wild Leeks.
http://mynorth.com/2010/04/how-to-ha...re-wild-leeks/

Jeff O.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:03 am   #8
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Except in a wildlife food plot, this subdivision does not apply to picking and removing mushrooms, berries, and edible fruits or nuts for personal use."

I know this was an old thread but it came up in a search about picking mushrooms on State Park Lands.

So does this mean we can legally pick the corn and other crops in those food plots that are planted every year? I assume a food plot is the crops of corn, clover and dacon radishes that get planted on state land.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:42 pm   #9
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

All I know is if it's posted that you can't pick in a park, you can't. I personally spoke with the lady in charge of Kensington park before and she said it's technically illegal in that park, but she doesn't pursue busting people, she supports them as long as they don't give an extra reason. That is dated info too.