Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Miscellaneous Photo's Underground Shots
Miscellaneous Photo's Non-Mushroom photographs of wildlife, kids, pets, fishing, hunting, hobbies & what have you.

Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:37 am   #1
ahistory
Name: Stan
Central, Missouri USA
Columbia

Underground Shots

Been so dry down here I finally got out of the woods and decided to do something I have wanted to do for a while, go on a wild cave tour. We have a really unique cave close by that offers a unique opportunity to see some environments you don't normally get to hike through.
Though taking photos with my point and shoot in a dark cave is a bit tricky, a few managed to come out ok. You can see a short slide show here.

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q...=7689091%40N03

Will take some more practice to get good shots. Rex you got any tips for taking photos in a dark wet environment?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:49 am   #2
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Stan, that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Is that open to the public or just experienced spelunker, that'll kick most peoples azzes in just awe and taking it all in and seeing it, mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:11 am   #3
beastybird
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

WOW what an awesome place to go ------pics were great
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:53 am   #4
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

Stan, those are awesome photos. That sure looks like fun!
If your camera has manual settings you'd be better off trying that in low light conditions. Of course, as HWF suggests, using the night scene selection will work also. For you to capture objects in dark areas, you need a slower shutter speed and/or a higher ISO. In order to accomplish this without flash, you'll need to place the camera on a tripod or other object so it remains still during the shot as 5 to 15 second exposures are required. Also, if you decide to try that, it's a good idea to use a delay timer.....mine will set at 2 seconds or 10 seconds......the 2 second timer allows me to press the shutter, and let go of the camera so there is little vibration.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:40 pm   #5
ahistory
Name: Stan
Central, Missouri USA
Columbia

Miker, that is open to the public. No experience required, just the proper footware, clothing, 3 light sources and 25 bucks. You must be in good shape, not so much for the cave, but you have to canoe the first 1/2 mile, so you must carry a canoe (park provides) about 1/4 mile navigating a boardwalk with lots of stairs down to the cave entrance. But well worth the effort. Here is more information about it.
http://www.mostateparks.com/rockbridge/cave.htm

It is led by all volunteers, who train for several seasons by serving as assistant leaders and attending special training sessions. For those in training all trips are FREE and you get your own (much lighter) canoe. It is an incredible resource that I have taken for granted far too long so I signed up. Also, I figure it's a wonderful way to give back a little to one of the parks that has provided me mushrooms for many seasons.

Thanks for all the tips, I will be sure to try them out. I'll have to get to know the night settings on my point and shoot (if it has any). Hopefully my pictures will turn out better next time. I am scheduled to visit the waterfall with the last tour of the season on October 7. Anyone in Missouri should drop in next spring, if the morels aren't up, we can always go caving.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:47 am   #6
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

That looks like it must be a blast to explore. I went to the Carlsbad cavern when a kid, but don't remember much about it. Nice shots also!

Debbie

Happy Morel Dreams!