Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Hello! What to Do with My Mushroom Spots
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:12 am   #1
mountaineer1
Name: Karl
Southern, Michigan USA

Hello! What to Do with My Mushroom Spots

Hi, Everyone:

This is one of my favorite message boards. I really enjoy reading the posts/pictures about your mushroom hunting experience and stories and leaned a great deal of from these veteran mushroom hunters. Because of that, I had a great first year mushroom hunting last year. For now I am far away from Michigan and can't hunt mushrooms over there. I really missed the fun in hunting mushrooms in Michigan...

So, what am I supposed to do with these mushroom spots? I really like to share them with some people but some may also be others¡¯ too. So I am in a dilemma.

I am now living in Shenzhen, China, a city next to Hong Kong and similar to Miami, FL. This is the word¡¯s fastest growing city ¨C thirty years ago, it was a small fishing town. Now it has more than 10 million people. Weather-wise, there are normally 6 months of summer here, hot, humid, and with a lot of rains (in summer 80% of time the temperature is above 80 degrees and the humidity is above 80%). I have checked the woods on a hill several times but haven¡¯t seen any mushroom growing there. I don¡¯t know why? Maybe it is too hot for any mushroom to grow here.

Near the city and by the sea, there is a big mountain more than 2700 feet tall. Often the top one quarter of the mountain sticks into the clouds. When the wind blows the clouds over the mountain, you can see the rains fall on the other side. Some day I am going to climb this mountain to see what I can find over there. I can¡¯t post pictures here, but I am going to post some in the photo section when I have time.

That¡¯s all I have. Enjoy the last days of the year¡¯s mushroom hunting season.

-- Karl
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:22 am   #2
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

Wow Karl, what a great post.

I have to believe there are locals there that know where/when/what in terms of mushroom foraging.

Maybe a good place to start is at the local markets. If you found peddlers that are selling local fungi, maybe you could strike up conversation about where they are found, what to look for to find them and when.

Just a thought.

What a cool opportunity for you. How's the air there? I have heard that the industrializing Chinese are choking themselves to death.

Ed
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:04 am   #3
mountaineer1
Southern, Michigan USA

Hi, Ed:

You are an early bird. Probably the reason that you got a lot of mushrooms. He he.

Perhaps there are some wild mushrooms here. When I arrived here in May I watched TV. The news anchor asked people in the city not to pick up mushrooms in parks. I guess there some.

You say local people - LOL. There are not many local people here. More than 90% of people come from all over the place - just like New York. This is the youngest city. Most people are in their 30s. When you ride a bus you normally don't see many old people.

There are a lot of cultivated mushrooms sold in the super markets/local groceries like Walmart. Yes, there are Walmart stores here. By the way, they are doing extremely well. (There is a company from Michigan doing very well as well. Guess which company is it?)

The pollution is bad. The air quality is not that good, but better than that in Beijing because 50% of the time the wind blows from the sea. A lot of rains also help to reduce air pollution. Summer time there are many hazy days (smog). The government has relocated a lot of polluting factories away from the city and cars older than 10 years are generally not allowed to drive on the roads. It will take many many years to solve the problem.

-- Karl
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:13 am   #4
mountaineer1
Southern, Michigan USA

Ed:

Oh, I forgot that you are a realtor. Real eastate has been hot for some time. in about two years, the developers sell an apartment from 4-6K Chinese Yuan/square meter to now 15K Chinese Yuan/square meter. Some people has made a lot of money over this hot real eastate market.

People complained. Now the government has made some new policies on the housing market (selling second apartment must pay higher tax), so it just cools down a little bit (for the speculators).

-- Karl
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:16 am   #5
mountaineer1
Southern, Michigan USA

.:
Originally posted by hardwaterfan
good to hear from you. good luck shroomin over there. theres got to be some.
As the temp starts to cool down, the shrooms may start to pop up. Oh, I am also going to miss the smelt fishing in Cleveland.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:38 pm   #6
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

Hey Karl,

Speculation in any investment can and will bring pain at some point. Ask the 'flippers' that bought 3, 4 and 5 condo units in S. Miami in 2005, before they were ever built. They are sitting on 6 and 7 figure losses (if they can ever sell their 'investments.').

I think the Chinese gov't will struggle with inflation throughout their economy over the next decades. But Bejing will continue to use the hammer to try to flatten out excesses that we let resolve on their own in the States.

Enjoy. I'll bet you can find mushrooms over there.

Ed
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:04 pm   #7
mountaineer1
Southern, Michigan USA

I would like to post some pictures I have taken here in the photo forum. Unfortunately, I can't at this time. I don't have photo editing software. I used to use Microsoft PowerPoint to save picture as JPEG files. Since I updated the MS Office, I am no longer be able to save the pictures as the JPEG files any more. I think Microsoft has smarted up.

-- Karl
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:25 pm   #8
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Karl, good to see ya back again, and sooner or later your gonna find shrooms,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:26 am   #9
mountaineer1
Southern, Michigan USA

The temperature is going to cool down a little in Winter time. I am going to go out to find them. As far as I have seen on the vegitation here. I haven't seen any trees that grow in Michigan. Pine trees are the most widely distributed trees in the world, but there is no single pine tree here. Most are broad leaf trees.

Are there any mushrooms in Miami, Florida area (I mean south Florida)? I think the climates in these two cities are very similar. Yesterday I stopped by a newspaper stand and saw some thing that looked like dried mushrooms hunging at the edge of the roof.