Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Morel & false morel photo's Glimpses of spring......
Morel & false morel photo's Morels or False Morels photo's only.

Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:09 pm   #21
ahistory
Name: Stan
Central, Missouri USA
Columbia

That day will come Samuel, hopefully it won't be following in the path of something destructive like the Pine Beetle.

Love the pics of the mountains. Please keep them coming.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:33 am   #22
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

Hello Samuel,

My wife and I stayed in Davos for 10 days back in the early 1990s. Switzerland is beautiful.

Have you ever been to Norway? I am taking my family there April 3-12. We are spending time in Oslo and Bergen and will have the chance to spend time in the mountains and the fjords.

I can't determine whether or not there will be any mushrooms to harvest during this time. Thanks for any information.

Ed
.:
Originally posted by Samuel
You know, I love my country ! This place is so beautiful. But I live and work in town (beautiful town by he way, I like it too). I have to drive my car for one 45 minutes and walk, or ride my MTB, to reach those spots. I'll never get tired of all that !

I'm just waiting for the day I'll find morels there by hundreds...And I'm sure I'll do, as my father did a few years ago...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:37 am   #23
Samuel
Name: Samuel
Central, N/A CH

.:
Originally posted by SWMichRealtor
Hello Samuel,

My wife and I stayed in Davos for 10 days back in the early 1990s. Switzerland is beautiful.

Have you ever been to Norway? I am taking my family there April 3-12. We are spending time in Oslo and Bergen and will have the chance to spend time in the mountains and the fjords.

I can't determine whether or not there will be any mushrooms to harvest during this time. Thanks for any information.

Ed
Hi Ed,

I've never been there, although I'd love to...I would just say it could be a little bit early for mushrooms. It's colder than Switzerland, so maybe it would be better on early May, but who knows ? You'll tell us ! ;-)

Sam
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:47 pm   #24
SWMichRealtor
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

.:
Originally posted by Samuel
Hi Ed,

I've never been there, although I'd love to...I would just say it could be a little bit early for mushrooms. It's colder than Switzerland, so maybe it would be better on early May, but who knows ? You'll tell us ! ;-)

Sam
Yes, I suspect we are going to be a few weeks early for mushrooms.

It is a climate that, according to our hosts, is similar to Seattle WA or Vancouver, Canada. So, we are hoping for more temperate weather than Michigan. Mushrooms would be an unexpected bonus in April.

Ed
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:20 pm   #25
obSEssed
Name: Tom
Southern, Michigan USA

Links to 2 pages of Norway 'shrooms, from an American who moved there and subsequently took up 'shrooming:

Boletes and Chanterelles
Other 'Shrooms

However, no word there on when the morels pop....
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:55 pm   #26
SWMichRealtor
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

.:
Originally posted by obSEssed
Links to 2 pages of Norway 'shrooms, from an American who moved there and subsequently took up 'shrooming:

Boletes and Chanterelles
Other 'Shrooms

However, no word there on when the morels pop....
OBSESSED...

I am very grateful for these links. I have searched and googled all over the internet for some English commentary on Norwegian mushrooms.

Thank you very much!

Ed
Old Mar 28, 2008, 3:37 am   #27
obSEssed
Name: Tom
Southern, Michigan USA

Glad you enjoyed the read, Ed.

The accuweather oxymoron/forecast for Oslo shows low temps in the 20's and 30's from now until the end of your trip. Tonight and the next two nights will all be above freezing, so there could possibly be some tiny ones near sea level when you get there, if they grow there. 4/8 and 4/9 will have highs of 50 or above for the first time. Mostly a mix of snow and rain for the time range, with a couple of sunny days.

Bergen will have warmer lows at the start of the trip, but much colder highs at the end. Supposed to be above freezing until a week from Friday night, but down to the 30's for highs on 4/7-10. Lots of rain and some snow.

I'd put my money on Bergen, if the ground is showing at all. Looks like a break in the rain on 4/3 there, after a steady downpour in the previous day or two.

She mentioned on her page that morels were relatively rare in the wild there, but becoming more frequent in the landscaping bark zone. I did find her posting on the Southern Shroomin' MSN forum, over 3 years ago, when she was moving back to the states. Perhaps you can find an e-mail addy for her from her profile there, or she may be still active. The google cache of the thread looks better than the live link.