Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Chile plants and onions
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:39 am   #11
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

Dave,

I agree and disagree. Potato onions are small, and they are short day and do store well. But, they are a completely differant "animal" then the nice bulbs we find in the supermarket. They are more akin to the shallot family that produces bulbs by way of division of the bulbs. I grow them myself. And, because of Pink Root in much of my available garden space they are something I can count on to cook with, but not so good on a hamburger. However, of the "standard" onions, we all think of when considering onions, the long day onion is by far the longest keeper. Short Day onions: Granex (Videlia), Texas Supersweet 1015y, Contessa, Burmuda, Southern Red Belle are sweeter for the most part, but, at best give 2 months of storage. While, Long Day onions: Big Daddy (large bulb), Red Zeppelin (Large Bulb), Copra (smaller bulb), First Edition (smaller bulb), Mars (medium bulb), store anywhere from 8 months to a year.

George

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:40 pm   #12
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

Have at it Dave. I plan on getting my hands on the Egyptian Walking Onion this year. Have you had experience with them?

George

Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:27 pm   #13
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Myself, big daddy and first edition are my "bread and butter" onions for storage, I find the stuttgarter will last for about 8 to 10 months also, but they seem to sweeten up after awhile and loose that onion punch, sweet spanish is another good 8 monther, my rule of thumb is plant all your onions about 10 inches apart in rows about 24 inches apart, this way you can get your rototiller in between the rows, and get rid of the number 1 enemy of onions, WEEDS! Weeds rob them of water and nutrients, I find the best food for onions is: fire ash in the spring, this causes their greens to shoot up, then cow dung dug in to the rototiller row to help the bulbs to bulbate during the summer months, remember onions love water, but not standing in it, then about 3 weeks before harvest I hit them with fire ash again, this stiffens the necks, so that they dry more thouroughly during the curing season,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:55 pm   #14
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

George I planted the walking onion about 4 years ago, and they were a nightmare to get rid out of the garden, but the ones who sent out onion roots outside of my garden fence, are still walking away, last year they got to about 4 feet away from the garden fence now,mike

Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:23 pm   #15
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

I had a similar problem with Jerusalem Artichokes many years ago, so I'm thinking I might have to reassess my use of walking onions. Maybe I'll plant them in the neighbors lawn - he's got the place up for sale.

George

Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:36 pm   #16
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

Sounds good by me George, just means you are sharing the wealth, being neighborly in all,mike

Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:10 pm   #17
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

When I go to harvest my onions, I never flatten out the stems, allow the onion to do this naturally,when they flatten out, allow them to become somewhat dry and the green top to start to fade, make sure it is not going to rain when you pull em up,this can cause the papery skin to absorb water and cause premature rot, just pull em and let em lay on the ground for 2 to 3 days, then cut the tops off and allow them to dry again to seal the cutoff top,if it is going to rain, move em to the garage or a shed until it stops, then spread em back out and allow the cutoff top to finish drying, then store em in a cool or cold place, then enjoy em in the fall and winter,mike

Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:14 pm   #18
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

My last word of advice on growing onions, when you pull em from the ground, if the outer layers of the skin are soft or darker than the others, these have to be earmarked, and used quickly, do not mix these onions in with your good solid ones!!! These will rot soon and then spread the rot to your good onions, you can segregate these onions from the others, but you must remove the soft mushy skin, and rebegin a drying process on them, I usually use a fan in a garage or so forth, but still all in all, they will have to be used first,mike

Tags
chili plants, gardening, onion