Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Hydroponic tomato
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old May 10, 2008, 6:55 pm   #1
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

Hydroponic tomato

This plant has been producing since last June, taking a short break between mid-March until the end of April. I will be taking cuttings for transplants this week just to see how long I can keep the same plant producing. Currently, the plant is loaded with small to 4 ounce tomatoes and tons of flowers.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...y/DSC01647.jpg

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old May 11, 2008, 12:33 am   #2
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

It fruited right through until mid-March; started looking a little ragged; then toward the end of April caught it's second wind. Interestingly, the Burbank Red Slicer is an heirloom determinate vine. I never knew they could comeback. But it's back bigger and better than ever. Who da thunk.

Old May 11, 2008, 8:43 pm   #3
GammaDee
Name: Donna
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw Co.

Wow! HT.
Just what I always wanted, a tomato plant that would yield fruit all winter.

Donna
Old May 12, 2008, 8:52 am   #4
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

I'm not so sure it is the type of tomato (Burbank Red Slicer), as this is the first year that I have grown tomatoes hydroponically. I'm thinking that the growing method (autopot) and the environment (solarium) might be the the real reason for whats going on. I am going to be creating transplants by hanging the hormonal dipped tips of 4 to 6 inch cuttings into oxygen enriched water maintained at 80 degrees (simply a 10 gallon aquarium with a heater and bubbler stone). Here is a link to the pots I've been using, which use no electricity and have special float sponsered valves that release nutrients to the plant as the plant requires it. I've got two systems, of which you have seen a side view.

http://www.autopot.com.au/default.as...3-4A650FCBEB76

I made two trellises to actually spread the two plants each system grows. One set sits idle, soon to receive the transplants. I didn't use supplemental lighting this past winter, but plan to during the upcoming one. It's way to early to be talking about that. Let's do shrooms an gardening in the great outdoors for now.

George

Last edited by Frank; Apr 19, 2012 at 4:01 am.

Tags
gardening, tomato