Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Can it be TOO wet for morels??
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 13, 2008, 6:05 pm   #1
96Bronco
Name: Jim
Southern, Michigan USA

Can it be TOO wet for morels??

I checked out a new area today. I wasn't quite sure how the area would be, but it turned out to be rather wet. There was quite a bit of standing water in about 50% of the area. The drier areas were a little soft to walk on. There were a good number of elms in the area and a few dead ones too. I searched for about 1 1/2 hours with no luck.

So, is it possible that this area is too wet? Thanks for the help.
Old May 13, 2008, 6:45 pm   #2
measuredude58
Name: Lowell
Southern, Ohio USA
Versailles

Standing water has never been good for me. Moist areas, but not standing water.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:25 am   #3
96Bronco
Name: Jim
Southern, Michigan USA

Anyone else have any thoughts on this??
Old May 14, 2008, 11:33 am   #4
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

I agree...I tend to stay away from areas that have standing water. With that being said though, and being I don't check those area's very often I could be missing out! I have come across area like that, and have found them on steep slopes above a very wet area, though. I have also found them on high river banks, and I guess you can't get more water than that!

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old May 14, 2008, 12:34 pm   #5
Guido
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

Swampy areas are not usually good for the white/yellow/grey, even though there are often trees in those areas that make you want to take a look. I have had some modest finds in slightly elevated areas nearby. I tend to stick to higher ground for ease of hunting, though.

Guido

Just a few...

Guido
Old May 14, 2008, 5:11 pm   #6
mch1mzs
Name: Mike
Central, Michigan USA
Mason

I have never had any luck in wet area. Down here in Southern Michigan I have luck on east and north slopes with dead elms that have not been dead a long time.
Up North I find them on east and south slopes. Most of the mushrooms (whites) I find are very close to mature hardwoods (beech and maple).
Old May 14, 2008, 9:48 pm   #7
Woodbutcher
Name: Leonard
Southern, Michigan USA
Shelby Twp.

Not the ideal place to be looking for morels. Several years ago i came arround a bend edging a swamp. I spotted a nice dead elm at th edge of the swamp about 50 yds away. The black muck at the swamps edge was to wet to walk on. Getting on some higher ground,working my way towards that elm the ground at the tree was about a foot higher and dryer. Lots of skunk cabbage,lifting some of the leaves with my walking stick uncovering big yellows. got about 20 from under that tree.

I won't pass up an elm at the edge of a swamp. Not all elms will produce,you'll never know.

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire,but it takes a whole box to start a campfire??

leonard
Old May 14, 2008, 10:16 pm   #8
icefisher69
Name: mark
Central, Michigan usa

I have never had very good luck in super wet area's! One time i was going through a really wet area and seen some elms ahead and headed towards them and it was on a mound of dirt about two feet higher and there was a half dozen. you never know!!!