Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's Inonontus Obliquus - Chaga
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:18 pm   #1
Bayesoft
Name: George
Northern, Michigan usa
Gaylord

Inonontus Obliquus - Chaga

Went out today with finding a very special fungus as my goal. When I found the first two on a paper birch I was bummed. They wouldn't budge when I pulled on them. I'll have to go back with a handsaw. So I drove around and found several more that popped right off in my hands. Had to walk in some swampy muck to get to them but it was worth it.

There are a bunch of paper birch near where I usually hunt along a creek. I might have some luck there as well. I'm going to read up on these again and try and find a way to "introduce" them to my normal hunting grounds. I wonder if these grow back when you break them off?

What I noticed is that they seem to grow from the base of lower branches. Killing the branch in the process. I wonder If I could drill a hole at the base of a branch and insert a plug of the fungus. Then cover it with beeswax to keep moisture in.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1168.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	4960   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1171.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	4961   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1172.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	4962  
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:16 pm   #2
Bayesoft
Northern, Michigan usa
Gaylord

Re: Inonontus Obliquus - Chaga

Same here. I did some heavy research recently and finally had the knowledge to make a positive ID on these. I've seen it on alder and wild cherry but it's the birch specimens you want for the medicinal aspect. With the other trees it doesn't seem to "burst" out either, it just makes a gall. On wild cherry, sap oozes out. A few weeks ago I think I found one on a birch that is probably a couple of years away from being able to harvest. The bark was just starting to peel away from the swelling inside.

I tried some to see what it was like. No flavor at all. Just like chewing on a piece of cork. It eventually broke apart and I just swallowed the pieces. I can't explain it but I felt "different" after about a half hour.

I did find out last night that the black charcoal looking stuff is actually sclerotia. So instead of wasting the good stuff. I could try introducing it with just the sclerotia. Just had a thought. You could probably use birch woodchips and grow it invitro. I see a lot of decayed birch with the bark intact. You could chip that up and add it to the substrate as well.

I'll have to continue this line of thought in the growing forum....

Last edited by Happy Trails; Sep 27, 2008 at 9:04 am.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:26 am   #3
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Showing my ignorance here but what is the medicinal property that they have?

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:08 pm   #4
Bayesoft
Northern, Michigan usa
Gaylord

.:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Showing my ignorance here but what is the medicinal property that they have?
Instead of the anecdotal accounts of it's effectiveness. I looked for actual scientific research papers. What I found is that the although the tea is a great antioxidant and immune stimulator. The real cancer killing properties are contained in it's other compounds.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:26 pm   #5
beastybird
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

with all the time I have spent in the woods over last few years I have yet to find one but I do purchase dried from a guy in Canada and make a tea out of it and its very good. I guess one reason is we have very few birch trees in SE WI but if you willing to sell or trade let me know

Tags
chaga mushroom, inonotus obliquus