Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Started some plants
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:22 am   #1
turbo
Name: Crystal
Northern, Michigan USA

Started some plants

I started some veggies indoors. beans, peas, corn, cucks, lettuce, taters,maters, peppers. I found that laundry baskets work well if lined with plastic. Soil can be as deep as you(or the plants) like it. And are pretty easy to move around to get optimal sun. Something for you to try if you would like to start planting now. The beans are needing something to climb up as are the peas. The tomatoes and peppers are a couple inches. Just started taters and lettuce, the cat ate the corn. Kinda gives ya a feeling of spring.Going a little stir crazy!!!!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:37 pm   #2
luckyshroomer
Name: Brian
Southern, Michigan usa

Re: Started some plants

Hi turbo,
Are you going to move these plants outside in the Spring?
That would be for you @the very eariest @ end of April or the first week in May.
I plant early in my greenhouse with everything but corn. I never succeeded to transplant corn from my greenhouse to the garden. I plant seeds in the greenhouse on March 15Th in my growbeads with pro greenhouse mix. I then transport the plants to the garden after the danger of frost.
Never heard of growing veggieis to maturity in the housebefore...good luck!
luckyshroomer.....Brian
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:15 pm   #3
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

there is a greenhouse down here that grows all sorts of veggies to maturity .green beans, squash,etc.you can call ahead to go pick fresh stuff any time now. sort of expensive though.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:13 am   #4
turbo
Northern, Michigan USA

KInda waiting to see how the plants mature in the baskets. I do plan on taking them out on the nicer days of spring. Curious as to whether they will get to the producing stage inside the baskets. I've grown tomatos in gallon pots before, if this works then i will have a reason to keep plants all year long and will plan for more space for them next year and a better way to keep the cat out of them. That darn cat would NOT leave the corn alone. He would wait until the stalks got about 2 inches tall and he would pull them out and leave them next to the basket. Replanted corn 2 times and gave up. He didn't mess with anything other than the corn, so I planted lettuce and potatoes instead.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:15 pm   #5
GammaDee
Name: Donna
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw Co.

Sounds good Turbo, If I do any gardening this summer, it will have to be small. (Oooooh so small) LOL. As I am having duble knee replacement in April. I am hopeing to still work in the garden a little bit this summer.
I am looking forword to getting new knees.

GammaDee
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:27 pm   #6
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

hey donna. you didnt have a case of the neasles when you were a kid, did ya? hahaha.i heard a guy say thats what happened to his.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:22 pm   #7
GammaDee
Name: Donna
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw Co.

Hmmmm. Yes I did tom, that is new to me, never heard that one.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:39 am   #8
turbo
Northern, Michigan USA

Sorry to hear about the surgery but glad to hear about the new knees. Prayers for the surgery to go well.