Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full - my analysis
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 5, 2010, 5:24 pm   #1
Guido
Enhanced Membership
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full - my analysis

I'm talking about 1 gallon ziplock bags of dried morels, not shopping bags...

I was going to post this on Monday, but I thought I'd give it one more shot today in my late spots. I found about 100, but left more in the woods than I brought home. As usual, I tossed some of the relics in other "likely looking" spots in hopes that they will produce next year. I hope that others do the same. Spread the wealth!

All of my hunting this year has been done in S.E. MI. Last weekend's rain did not cause another flush of mushrooms, it just ruined the ones that had already popped. This is what I expected from prior experience. I started to notice insect damage on Saturday, and by late Sunday they were already starting to droop. Slugs love the rain just as much as mushrooms do, and they love the mushrooms just as much as humans do. I really don't think there are multiple flushes of morels, I think that sometimes they are not quite done popping up the first time you are in an area, or they are too small to see, so if you go back a few days later you find more.

I will hunt no more for morels this year. There has not been enough rain in my far northern spots to justify the expense of a trip up there, and it looks to be a poor black season, as the whites are already being found. And I don't need any more of them.

My analysis of this year in my area is that it was a very good, but short, season. I found the most morels since 2003 in this area (mostly in Washtenaw County). All of them were of the white/yellow/gray family (morchella esculenta). I also found more large patches than usual. Finally, I found more mushrooms in April than ever before, and more in April than in May. Global warming? Believe It!

Just a few...

Guido
Old May 5, 2010, 8:31 pm   #2
dewane
Name: dewane
Central, Indiana USA

Re: Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full - my analys

congrats,i hope to post something like that some year,good job!
Old May 6, 2010, 10:10 pm   #3
shroonthumper
Enhanced Membership
Name: victor
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

Very good finds and some very good ideas on seeding i wont stop hunting until i've searched every spot i know ive gathered enough for some good meals already and have enough drying for a quart jar and a half about hoping to get the second jar filled also before the season ends very good luck next year

"THE WOODS ARE LOVELY DARK AND DEEP AND I HAVE MANY MORELS TO FIND BEFORE I SLEEP" .............
Old May 6, 2010, 10:20 pm   #4
Kapok
Enhanced Membership
Name: Scott
Southern, Michigan USA
Fruitport

I have to ask... Coming from someone who finds may 50 in a year. How did you find all your spots and are the majority on public land?

I used to live up near Benzie Co and found my share up there, although never in the amount you do. Down here in Muskegon County I just can't seem to find any good spots. Every year it's the same thing. Hours and hours in the woods, coming home empty handed every time. It stinks...

So, I'm happy for ya Guido, but dang I wish I could find some too! I'm headed up north tomorrow, to my old stomping grounds, so wish me luck!
Old May 7, 2010, 2:49 pm   #5
Guido
Enhanced Membership
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

I hunt on public land. I find my spots by keeping my eyes open year round. I am a marathon runner, so my legs can take a lot of miles and I move pretty quickly through the woods. I figure out where I'm going to go, in what order, before the season starts (I call it doing my homework). Over the years I've learned how to recognize a likely spot, and I keep a list of them. But my spots are always evolving, so it is a living list. Most of the places that were at the top of my list 10 years ago are now at the bottom. I did not have time to get to all of them this year, because the season was so short, but I did hit all of the spots that seemed likely to increase, and skipped some that have been declining. I also avoid spots where I know there will be other hunters (easily accessed from a road or parking area) and focus on more distant areas. Other hunters beat me into a couple of my spots, as always, but I was first more often than not.

Just a few...

Guido
Old May 8, 2010, 12:15 pm   #6
shroonhead
Enhanced Membership
Name: Dennis
Southern, Michigan USA

Hi Giudo
Congrats on your finds this year!
I am already looking forward to the Chanty Season!
How about you?
Dennis