Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Well 2 weeks until may snow fall
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:36 pm   #1
joe pohl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Joe
Northern, Michigan usa
manistee

Well 2 weeks until may snow fall

So again we are going into a late season or should i say short season if this winter won't go. People at church today were talking about 4 and 5 and 6 inches of snow all over the lower .. Please mother nature we need a morel season this really sux ha people lodge your complaints here pohlcat please post ok
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:05 pm   #2
ross
Enhanced Membership
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

Re: Well 2 weeks until may snow fall

What do you consider the "normal" time for your season to begin Joe? I usually don't have any luck down 55 a few miles from you until the first week of May. Is the third week of April common, or is that just an early year? Just curious what other people think. I personally, have never found more than a handful before the very last days of April.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:37 pm   #3
joe pohl
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan usa
manistee

well the last 10 days of april for the same area is when i used to start getting them if its ready and its not this year again 2 weeks behind so far so thats why i say late again.. i don't care if the season is late as long as we don't get them lil cold snaps like we have for the past 3 years those cold snaps just shut them down all together you know down below freezing for several nites in arow with frost warnings for planting and yes thats out 55 towards cadillac..I really would like a bumper crop year like all the rest of you on here and we deserve one so good luck to all pohlcat
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:21 pm   #4
brifindem
Name: brian
Central, Michigan USA
howard

I saw 1day in the 7 day with lows in the mid 40's. Sixties and 40's next week..thats for Grand Rapids. Now I see that more snow is forecast for the northern regions.. and we just made reservations for Cadillac on Ma's Day. Picked em in the snow up there last year!..there shouldn't be near as much greenery on the forest floor as last year thats for sure..still impatiently waiting!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:39 pm   #5
ross
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

That's true Brian. Last year was a little ridiculous with the vegetation. A couple of my favorite places were almost unhuntable as you had to look straight down on the mushroom to have any chance of finding it.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:43 pm   #6
shroomer
Name: Carie
Northern, Michigan USA
Mason County

Unhappy Re: Well 2 weeks until may snow fall

I can't believe this nonsense.It seems like every year there is less and less of a "spring". I just got done watching the news and the weather is not looking good at all. there's going to be a very small window of opportunity we are going to be working with here.i travel for my good spots a hour or more away and i feel really sad right now. WHY WHY WHy Mother Nature?? Why must you do this!!? We had enough already!!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:27 am   #7
ross
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

Don't despair yet, a late spring and morel season doesn't necessarily mean it will be a bad season. Maybe we'll have perfect weather all May long and have sore backs from carrying many very heavy bags.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:29 am   #8
packmaster
Name: steve
Northern, Michigan USA

well at least we are getting some moisture.I think may is going to be some really good picking this year.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:14 am   #9
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Update on Spring 2011

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:14 am   #10
joe pohl
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan usa
manistee

Ya the last few years have gone right from winter to summer up here .spring is just a faint memory. I found alot of just started blacks and greys last year that were freezer burnt and tiny the poor things never stood a chance they just started to grow and then they froze from a low of 26 degrees and a frost warning for 3 or 4 nites in a row i even had 2 elm trees put up 2 spurts of mushrooms i never saw that happen before an early few 3 or 4 and then a late bunch 7 to 10 .. We did'nt get much cherries in traverse city last year because the blossoms froze on the trees .. Well looks like thats the price of living to far north... But it remains to be seen we have to to take this to a higher power that be and pray for good mushroom weather its on my prayer list good luck people pohlcat