Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's Id please
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old May 25, 2014, 2:14 pm   #11
hartman756
Name: chris
Northern, Michigan USA
pellston

Re: Id please

Here is a link to where I got the excerpt from.

http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Gyromitrin
Old May 25, 2014, 4:16 pm   #12
Mushroom Jack
Enhanced Membership
Name: Jack
Northern, Michigan USA
Lewiston

I would have to disagree with the toxin not being cumulative. This is right out of Tom Volks site.

First of all there is the possibility of getting sick just from inhaling the fumes from the parboiling. There is a second possibility of ingesting incompletely removed toxins when you eat the mushrooms. Third, there is the likelihood that gyromitrin is a cumulative carcinogen, which may cause problems in the short term or only after many year of ingesting or inhaling the toxin. There are many people who tell me they have eaten these false morels for many years without any problem. I reply to them that they have been lucky so far.

Do you have any pictures of them not so broken up ? They are not Gyromitra esculenta, but most likely G korfii or G. brunnea

The pictures from left to right are Gyromitra esculenta, Gyromitra korfii and Gyromitra brunnea.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3653.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	9493   Click image for larger version

Name:	OrchardMorels043.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	9494   Click image for larger version

Name:	5667-1400261635_zps27b542a4.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	9495  

Tip of the " Mushroom Cap " to ya's !!!
Old May 25, 2014, 4:53 pm   #13
hartman756
Name: chris
Northern, Michigan USA
pellston

Here is the link to the Tom Volks page you referenced.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/may2002.html

A lot of good information along the same lines as the point I was trying to make. And that is there are many variables to the toxicity and ways to poison ones self by eating these. I don't mean to be argumentative on the toxins accumulating over years ,however the carcinogen effect is a different process then the toxin poisoning. The reason I press this issue is to get those that eat these, or are considering doing so because others have ,and claim they have a surefire way to prepare them safely etc. It only takes ONE mistake or a batch that contains a higher level of toxin. It can be your first time or your hundredth time..........

One more note. There have been reports of poisoning from eating morels transported in the same container as the Gyromitra ( I assume pieces of the Gyromitra break off and get mixed in) So beware/aware when buying morels ...........
Old May 25, 2014, 8:57 pm   #14
Mushroom Jack
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan USA
Lewiston

Chris, have you ever seen David Aroras way to detoxify Amanita muscaria? Claims seem to be, they're quit tasty afterwards. And hey, I don't mean to start any argument either, cause things are changing so fast it's hard to keep up on. Are you familiar with all the new DNA testings on Morels ? Now we have North America & Canada, 22 + new names to learn for Morchella alone. Makes all of our books obsolete. I'll see if I can get an enlargement.

Old May 25, 2014, 9:06 pm   #15
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Why argue over a way to detoxify anything?! Why would anybody be so desparate to risk anything cumulative or not. When in doubt throw it out.
Old May 25, 2014, 9:22 pm   #16
Mushroom Jack
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan USA
Lewiston

Hopefully these can be seen, but they're the new names for Morchella, North America & Canada.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0123.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	9497   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0124.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	9498  

Old May 25, 2014, 9:33 pm   #17
Mushroom Jack
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan USA
Lewiston

You are correct Jon, I guess if you have the availability of all the equipment , then you can go ahead. To me, there are more easy to Id mushrooms, like true Morels, and don't take special cooking procedures. And at the end of the spectrum, taste way better.

Old May 27, 2014, 3:50 am   #18
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Not to ruffle feathers, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why some folks insists on trying to make a potentially dangerous mushroom safe to eat.
Why would I want to do that, when there are so many others, probably better tasting, and proven safe for 99% of population.

It kind of like saying my grandpa drank a quart of whiskey every Friday night, and drove the buggy home with never a mishap. So that must mean I can do the same today in the car and still be safe. What the heck? Grandpa did it! Right?

Another way to look at it.
If you bet big money on Russian Roulette, and you played it 90 times, and won every time! By now you are a millionaire.
Then on the 91st time, you are a dead millionaire!

Get the drift? LOL

Quit trying shortcuts. Learn how to find the safe and tasty ones.

Take the time to learn well, how to find the good ones.
Then you won't have to resort to trying to make a silk purse out of a pig ear, with the bad ones.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old May 28, 2014, 2:06 am   #19
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I agree with Frank.

I prefer to stick with something safe to eat that requires little preparation other than cleaning and cooking....relatively simple...no detoxifying.

When removing toxins, you may not remove them all and still get sick.

As for Beefsteaks, I'd leave them alone. In volume, I generally find more in morels than I do in Beefsteaks. (i.e. if I weighed all the beefsteaks I found and all the morels I found, I'd have more weight in morels.)

Stick with morels....and eat them in moderation. They can be dehydrated and preserved for 1+ years if you have more than enough for 1 meal.

Jeff O.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:44 am   #20
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I've ate some dried morels stored in a mason jat that was 10 years old Jeff. Heard of people finding some they forgot about that was about 20 years old, still dried and ate them. Not sure I would want to try 20 years though. LOL

As a test a few years ago, I found no difference in ones that were dried and stored in burlap, paper bags, jars, and hung from a thread for over 1 to 3 years. I used to vac pack them, but don't bother anymore. It don't matter as long as they are dried properly, and too much moisture kept from them.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here