Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion And So.....
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:32 pm   #1
Ohio Transplant
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

And So.....

......I'm walking along a woodland trail this afternoon, head in the clouds as usual, when I heard a "ding" behind me. A sound that usually means my store bought cashew chicken stir fry microwave dinner is done. I glance and see the biker coming at me. Of course, I step to the right and off the trail.
He goes by and i immediately realize how hot it is. I'm sweating like a pig, I think to myself, and probably to anyone else that would have seen me at that moment. I suddenly realized what it must feel like to be a microwave dinner. So, as I was already off the trail, I figured I might as well go check an oak I know produces Maitake. Just as I turned to head in, I glanced at the base of a Beech tree, and there was two beautiful hens prime for pickin'. Not too big, not too small. Just right. I harvested them and headed to the oak where i found another real nice one. I also harvested a sack full of pear-shaped puffballs.
So anyhow, thanks to the bicycle rider that ran me off the trail at that point, and for the realization that spider webs stuck to my face really aren't all that bad, even if I'm sweatin' like a pig......
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:39 pm   #2
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Good going Rex, some finds come at the weirdest times under the weirdest circumstances,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:47 pm   #3
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Great story, Rex! Congrats on the mushrooms! And just out of curiosity...What microwave en tree where you?

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:55 pm   #4
Ohio Transplant
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Ontario CA

I'm not a microwave dinner Brandt. I'm what's known as Slooooooooooow food........lol

Roosevelt, I haven't really noticed a taste difference, and in fact, a hen on a beech tree looks pretty much like a hen elsewhere. Of course I fully agree with you all, in that hens definitely take on major changes in characteristics that lends me to believe that a species breakdown will occur. Perhaps, Grifola frondosa var. something or the other.
I have never latched on to the theory that amount of light, or lack there of creates the drastic color differences between hens. I'm more apt to believe that the host substrate has more control over macro features that are visible. However, light may play a subtle role as well.
It would be fun and interesting if someone took up the study of Grifola. Have you noticed that some noteworthy mycologists tend to stick with one genus?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:04 pm   #5
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

Rex, I'm on the same page with you, there is more than one specie of G.Frondosa and I also believe just because you are a mycologist and have written books on the subject, does not mean that all of your ducks are in a row either, just take a look at the work Dr Carter did on the taxonomy of the morel, I really believe that people who pick more of one species (like hens) like us common folk, see more in detail than any mycologist will ever see, due to there need to observe all species instead of focusing on one specie,mike

Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:07 pm   #6
Ohio Transplant
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Ontario CA

lol HWF......I hear ya there.

You bet it was hot this weekend. Humidity was really high also around here, but I did mention in other thread that we had some awesome rain yesterday, so thats gonna help a lot, with a cool down to seasonal temperatures this week. It was Thanksgiving here in Canada today. Celebrating the harvest.....
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:33 am   #7
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Good morning there Matt (Mreid1). Good to see a new member posting.

Congrats on your success with both ducks and some shrooms.
Oyster mushroom seem to like both spring and fall. There is a fall oyster that is darker than the ones found in the spring. I'll leave the finer details of this to the better qualified members to expand on.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:55 pm   #8
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

Alright Bro's, you need any spore prints let me know, I got a 15 lb blond out in the yard right now, and 2 greys that have the pattern of a turkeytail right now, this is the kinda sit that gets my blood, (or gravy) flowing!! mike