Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Ever been hurt while hunting mushrooms, deer or other..
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:21 pm   #1
Rustydel2
Enhanced Membership
Name: Del
Southern, Michigan usa
Jackson

Talking Ever been hurt while hunting mushrooms, deer or other..

This happened to me, oct. 22, 1981 , i'll never forget. This was befor you could buy a manufactered tree stand. A few of us at work made some stands out of angle iron. Nice an heavy stands.So the weekend came and I took my 5 yr old son with me to put my new stand. Parked the car on state land an walked almost a half mile back in. Found a real nice runway, and a nice tree nearby. Up the tree I went ,about 18 feet up, I had a rope tied to the stand on the ground. I then started pulling it up the tree , almost had it all the way up -when the limb I was on BROKE, down I went crashing to the ground right on top of my new stand. My little boy started crying , I started praying, giving thanks that I didn't land on him. Right away I knew something was wrong , my left ankle was just dangling, I couldn't stand on it, my right leg not much better. I had my son find me a dead tree limb- and was able to stand. It took 2 hrs to get back to the car-20 min. to drive home. My wife then drove me to the hospital My left ankle was completely broke . Next day I had surgery ,they pinned and screwed it back together. Was in the hospital for a week.I thank god nothing else was broken , was off work for 8 wks To top things off -someone stoled my stand. LOL hope they had better luck then I had with it.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:35 pm   #2
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Re: Has anyone been hurt while mushroom hunting, deer hunting , or other outdoor ac

Besides minor scrapes and scratches, not really. Wow, that's really scary though what happened to you! Everyone be CAREFUL out there!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:13 am   #3
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Has anyone been hurt while mushroom hunting, deer hunting , or other outdoor ac

That is very scary rusty! It was a miracle you didn't land on your boy and that you were able to hobble out.

The comptroller for my company fell from a stand (don't remember the details) but he landed on his shoulder, tore it badly enough to need surgery and a long time off work.

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:23 am   #4
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Thats a bummer Rusty...Nothing out of the ordinary here,sprained ankles,twigs to the eyes,the usual stuff that happens to those that spend time in the woods...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:56 pm   #5
richland49083
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA
S.W. Michigan

23 years ago! you have probably been through a few tree stands since then. Thank God that your son was not hurt. Hope he was still willing
to go to the woods with you after that.

I've never been seriously hurt just waliking in the woods, but about that same year i did have a couple of "dirt bike" accidents. One was very bad, becouse i was by myself and landed under the dirtbike after going over what was (the day before) just a small hill at the local gravel pit. What i did not realize was that the day before, someone had dug a 10 foot hole from the side of the jump. Was able to eventually drag myself out and load the bike up and get home. Only broken sholder blade.

Did lots of things 20something years ago that I would not think of doing now. Like climbing glaceirs and rocks without ropes and other proper equipment. Guess I should be in worse shape than I am.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:28 pm   #6
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

I've twisted a few ankles and taken a few branches in the eye but not much more. Motorcycles, however, are another story.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:03 am   #7
jeffmo
Name: jeff
Central, Ohio usa

i'd like to have a nickel for every time i've went log surfing!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:50 pm   #8
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I did do a doozy a few years ago while morel hunting. I went to step over a log and the foot that was bearing my weight broke through a log that I didn't know was there.
Anyhow lost my balance and my shin made full contact with the log, so head over heels I went! However, I DID spot a nice 5" morel on the header trip! lol Limped for a week and had one big lump/bruise on that leg for awhile.

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:59 pm   #9
birrdybrad
Name: Brad
Central, Michigan usa
Lowell

Can't beleive I'm gonna post this , but here goes.
It's kinda racey, so I'll be vague about it.

Two years ago, up in the Gaylord area, a group of freinds with my wife and I were Morel huntin. We were out pickin all day long. And when we got back to the cabin I had to pee. I went to ,,,,,

AHH never mind!!!! It's way too embarising.

Brad
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:46 pm   #10
fasthunter
Enhanced Membership
Name: Chris
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Ever been hurt while hunting mushrooms, deer or oth

WOW!! I'm glad you and you're son were ok and it wasn't worse. I've never been hurt while hunting, but I did manage to stab myself in my thigh with my hunting knife just a couple years ago. My wife who was my girlfriend at the time wanted me to work on the carpet in the motorhome. I was in a hurry and was at work all night. (Work midnights.) I figured the rest was going to be hidden and the cut didn't have to be nice with what was left. I didn't have a sharp knife either. So what was I doing? The knife wasn't working well so I put the carpet on the table and was trying to cut down in a stabbing motion. We'll I slipped while using all of my force and it went right into my thigh. It was 2 inches deep and I got 12 stitches. Luckily I didn't hit a vein....lol!! I've also hurt myself really good on a motorcycle and missed a month of work from it. As my name says on here......I like to go REAAALLLLY fast..lol!! That has nothing even remotely to do with hunting though.