Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion My crazy last few days...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:43 pm   #1
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

My crazy last few days...

Well, I've been absent from the boards except for quick drop-ins for the last couple days. Here is my last few days...Sunday morning: I decide to take the Trailblazer into work since it was slippery. I left the house and thought the roads were just wet. Everyone seemed to be traveling at normal speeds and I was doing 50-55mph when I hit a patch of black ice. I was instantly on my way for the ditch. I was carrying so much speed, I honestly thought this could be "it". The Trailblazer left the road and I hit the embankment and a tree with the front end. The initial impact was brutal. The vehicle then rolled onto it's side and then back onto the wheels. I was shocked at first that I seemed to be relatively fine. A little blood and some pain, but I was conscious and breathing! A few people stopped and I think they were amazed to find me moving around inside the vehicle. Against their protest, I pushed my way out of the vehicle and got a look at the damages I had done. Wow. That's all I have to say. I'll post pictures later that I took later that day at the recovery yard. I have a broken toe, cuts on my forehead, bruised chest, bruised shoulder, sore neck and back but no internal damages or permanent damages! Good thing I have such a hard head!!!

Then on Monday night I limped my way into Joe Louis Arena for "Toast to Hockeytown". It is a night of fine foods, liquors, and mingling with the Red Wings! I have a ton of pictures of Brenda and I with the guys that I will also post those later. My sister, who works for the Wings, called me Sunday night after she found out about the accident and told me that she would offer me a refund on our tickets if I wanted. I told her no little accident will keep me away from a chance in a lifetime event!! So, today we got the call that our vehicle is indeed considered a complete loss. So, just before the Trailblazer was to be paid off with only 48,000 miles on it, I destroyed it. I told Brenda we are buying a used vehicle this time!!!

I hope everyone has been fine and I look forward to catching up with everyone!

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:52 pm   #2
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Re: My crazy last few days...

Wow Brandt,sure glad you are ok and sorry to hear that the Trailblazer was a loss...
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:51 pm   #3
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Brandt glad to hear ya are alright, outside of some dings and dents to your body,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:12 pm   #4
Woodbutcher
Enhanced Membership
Name: Leonard
Southern, Michigan USA
Shelby Twp.

Scary stuff Brandt,Shure glad you came out of it with just a few minor cuts, aches and pains. Vehicles are easy to replace. Get well soon.

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire,but it takes a whole box to start a campfire??

leonard
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:27 am   #5
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Geeze Brandt! Am I gonna have to send out the 'M.M. Personal Protection Squad' to watch out for you and your family?

I currently don't have such a squad, but I bet a bunch would sign on for you. LOL

You, and we, are so lucky that things aren't worse than than are.

In my high school days I drove my car over an embankment airborne, until I wedged it between two trees way down below. Had to climb out the back door. And I sure know what you mean about the sore chest, and head, etc.

I remember 'floating' off the seat while in the air, and the only thing to cushion my stop at the end was my hands and arms clutched to the wheel. Didn't have seat belts those days.

Get better buddy, and remember four wheel drive means "Drive" forward and back better than two wheel drives. Not steering or stopping.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:35 am   #6
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!! Yeah, Frank I know what you mean about the four wheel drive. I'm usually the first one complaining about the "idiots" flying along just because they have four wheel drive! I was always overly cautious, and still can't believe this happened to me. There was no fishtailing, no warning...I just took off like a shot for the ditch. It was easily the most scary moment of my life. I honestly thought...This was it. As fast as I was going, and looking at what I was going to impact. Scary...Thank you again everyone for the well wishes.

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:39 am   #7
turbo
Enhanced Membership
Name: Crystal
Northern, Michigan USA

WOW Brandt. Glad to hear that your ok.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:42 am   #8
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Thanks, Crystal! Yeah....I seem to be okay. No crazier than before anyway.

Brandt

Old Feb 25, 2009, 1:47 am   #9
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Black Ice does not know the different between a careful driver and an inexperienced driver. That's what makes it so nasty. When you hit it, there is nuthing you can do except either ride it to the end, or get lucky and stay straight.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:13 am   #10
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

That is a terrifying feeling when you see the accident happening. It's always amazed me that it occurs in slo-motion. Anyhow, I am very glad that you escaped mostly unscathed. Now you get to buy a new truck again.

Happy Morel Dreams!