Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Yellow honey mushroom
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old May 26, 2018, 7:52 pm   #1
H coon
Name: Howard
Southern, Michigan United States
Monroe

Yellow honey mushroom

We always call them stumped. The yellow ones being the early variety. They generally appear late August to mid to end of September depending on the year. As the name would suggest they seem to like newly cut stumps many times growing all the way around in huge clumps. The bugs get them fast if the afternoons are warm. The spore print seem to be a yellow to Orange color. They will appear on the same stump until the stump rots away. My mother always would wash them well then boil them with a couple water changes and squeeze them out. Then they work very well in a tomato sauce or chili. They do develop a slimy feel to the cap so they may not be for everyone.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:46 am   #2
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Yellow honey mushroom

Found my first honeys last year, and while they have good flavor, I really didn't care for the texture of the cap (which is a rare thing for me). It was like chewy/crunchy/something else all at the same time. If I see a nice fresh batch of them again this year I will give them another try, but I will focus on better table fare like chanterelles and hen of the woods :) I understand why people like them though, the flavor is good... maybe they'd be great dried and ground for mushroom powder.