Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion How much is too much?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:27 pm   #1
chuckin
Enhanced Membership
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA

How much is too much?

So I have a friend who cannot eat morels. She will become violently sick. She did, however, eat them for a couple years before this happened with no ill effects. Now that I hunt several different kinds of shrooms each season, I can't help but wonder...
As I sit down with a plate for dinner, a beautiful venison steak piled high with morels, will this be my last? I love the thrill of the chase, but the fruits of my labor are the icing on the cake. Enjoying nature's bounty with friends and family just brings everything full circle.
So is there a limit? It would be a sad day when I can no longer stomach my tasty woodland treasures. With many species of mushrooms under my belt, and so many more on my hit list, I cringe at the thought of becoming allergic to any of them.
Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a limit to the amount I should consume? And like, per sitting? Per week or month? And would it be species specific, or any and all? I was never allergic to bees as a kid. I'd get stung, no biggie. Then one time I stumbled into a bad scenario, a huge hole in the ground, and a swarm of bees. Got stung several times. Ever since, a single bee sting will make me swell up like a balloon. Same theory? Yikes!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:37 pm   #2
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

Re: How much is too much?

The causes can be numerous for suddenly becoming intolerant to certain foods.

A cousin cannot eat morels after unknowingly ingesting too many verpas.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:50 am   #3
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Please use some basic precautions that should help to avoid the allergic reaction. 1st never consume an uncooked mushroom. 2nd be positive on the identification (morel vs Verpa) 3rd do not consume alcohol while eating wild mushrooms and 4th gluttony can be it's own punishment. Too many-would probably be if you eat only mushrooms at a meal. 5th do NOT eat the mushrooms that you are warned are not safe to consume. exp: Verpas & Gyromitras.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old May 1, 2016, 10:50 am   #4
sanilacshroomer
Enhanced Membership
Name: paul
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

Unhappy Re: How much is too much?

This is the setting. A beautiful Christmas dinner, family, prime rib cooked to perfection, rehydrated morels used to make a wonderful sauce using the rehydration water and sauté morels. Sounds great, well my sister whom has eaten morels for 50 years becomes very sick and party over. She may have questioned my cooking, but know one else got sick. That spring she and her husband were up north doing some morel hunting, I got a call it was not your cooking I can no longer eat morels as we just had a few and I got very sick.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:43 pm   #5
chuckin
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA

Yep, happened just like that Paul. Although she had only been eating them for maybe 3 years. Identification is a non issue, and she doesn't drink. Just all of the sudden they made her sick. We convinced her to try a little piece at a later date to be sure it was the morels, and sure enough...she certainly doesn't eat as many as I do. I try not to eat too many in one sitting. But I definitely eat more variety than ever before.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:28 pm   #6
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

My mom can't eat any anymore and she never over indulged like me
Old May 1, 2016, 9:50 pm   #7
chuckin
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA

Hopefully over indulgence is the key...sounds like this isn't a rare thing.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:34 am   #8
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Yeah, it depends on the person. A friend up north loved morels, and used to always eat the Verpa Caps too. Then she went to hospital after eating some Verpas, and got her stomach pumped for fun.

She fiqured she could still eat regular morels, but no. They make her sick now too.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old May 2, 2016, 6:23 am   #9
chuckin
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA

Sounds like verpas are the culprit at least for some. It's funny, the first time I found some big verpas I actually put one in my bag. It was when I went to do the same with the 2nd one that I realized something wasn't right. It was that same day I ran into a guy on the road with two full bags. I had to pick his brain because he had way more yellows than me. Of course they were verpas. He tried to sell me on the "caps" being safe. I hope he didn't sell them to some unsuspecting newbie. I never see them locally, but up north they are everywhere.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:57 am   #10
Elmer Apple
Name: Tim
Southern, Michigan USA
Brighton

Last year I found a nice batch morels in the neighbor's yard. I offered her some, though reluctant, she took a couple. She became violently ill after consuming them. She was convinced I had poisoned her with improperly identified morels. I later found out that she ate them raw. I think this year she will give them all to me!

Found a few small ones in Brighton yesterday. The season is on!