Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Early Saturday Morning and Sunday morning.
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:08 am   #11
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I can still hear her tell us kids, when we did stay up too late.

Oh Oh! Dads Home! You get up to bed right now! LOL

He's always holler when he found us kids up when he got home. Unless of course he wanted to wake us up for something he considered special. Like ring bologna and crackers, or some new goats he'd bartered for. The goats were Moms favorite. Well not quite. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:14 am   #12
shroom vaccuum
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sue
Northern, Michigan usa
rc

I was allowed to stay up late on Friday nights. When Dad came home he always was a little late because he'd stop and bring home something really good, like char grilled steak sandwiches. Dang, those were good!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:29 am   #13
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Well, I'm probably going to embarress the family here, but....

Dad Worked for a company called Valley Chemical a long time ago. Eventually Wayne Soap bought them up and he continued to work for them until he retired.

Anyway.... way back when, the company used to pick up dead livestock, scrap, bones and hides from slaughter houses, as well as spoiled meat from stores and the like. Not a flattering job to be sure. Some of the open top 55 gal drums used contain the guts from critters. OK, You get the picture. Right?

But the stores used to have to throw out meat food that was out dated. Back then they would seperate it, from the bad stuff and save it for the drivers who used to pick it up the meat scraps. Remember it was a time when food was precious. Anyhow they would save this stuff in a box and the driver would take the product home if it was any good, which it always was. Who hasn't ate meat past the "use by date"? Right?

Dad always told us it was "Gut Barrell Meat" that he'd picked out of a barrel of guts, trying to gross us out. It didn't.

But My oldest sister got married, and her husband heard Dad call it that and refused to eat any meat that he didn't know for where it came from at our house. LOL

Us kids grew up on "gut barrel meat", and I guess that would explain why I will eat most anything yet to this day. LOL

Frank

Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:35 am   #14
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

"Gut Barrel Meat" Was pretty good. Bologna, Hot dogs, sausages of all types, lunch meat, chicken, ducks, shrimp, beef roasts, and sometimes steaks and the likes. We would have not had such good dinners a lot of times, without it.

Frank

Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:48 am   #15
shroom vaccuum
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan usa
rc

Not an embarassment. It's called survival. That old saying, "Waste not, want not". An uncle used to go to the local grocery dumpster 2 or 3 times a day. The old produce went to his chickens and any meat products went to his hunting dogs. Every now and again one of the cold storage units would break down at the store and they would call him to let him know they were putting it in the dumpster. One time he called us to come over and get some ice cream. The store freezer had gone down. The kids were happy for a couple of months from that one. Another time it was fresh beef. It's too bad the authorities won't let the stores give that stuff to needy families or soup kitchens! What a waste.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:56 am   #16
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Well, I'm not embarrest, but will have to let rest of the family speak for themselves. LOL

Yes Sue, it is such a waste today. Used to be road killed deer went to school lunches. Today in Michigan, they don't even pick them up. Just let them rot.

And guess what? Our sports lic. are going to go up. Now they want a hunter to donate his/her hard earned deer to such programs, but they will not pick up a fresh roadkill with only it's neck broken and serve it. Go fiqure.

Frank

Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:59 am   #17
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Lawyers.

Frank

Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:03 am   #18
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

What do you call a thousand lawyers drowning in the oceon?
a DARN GOOD START!

Frank

Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:04 am   #19
shroom vaccuum
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan usa
rc

Warped system to be sure. Working in the medical field now it amazes me how much money is going to assure people we are working toward a germ free society. I was just fitted for masks last night. I can see the need if I or the patient has something contageous but they are encouraging us to wear them all the time. More waste while making me more vulnerable to germs!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:12 am   #20
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Yep. Gloves and mask for anything and everything.

Really give the patient a secure feeling to know that they may have something so contagist that even the care giver is afraid to breat their air. LOL

Again Lawyers. But only partly this time. Some of this comes from so many new health prob that are surfacing. So I quess it's partially to protect you and partially to protect the institution from suits.

Frank