Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:39 am   #21
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?..

Thank you for PMing me so quickly guys!
Sorry it too so long in replying on my end. Hectic life here last two months. (another story).

I understand what Greg (ding ding ding) and Bob (rlhall), both are saying. I really do.

But there is a very good reason locations, (even general areas) aren't given out so much any more.

You may not think it is a big thing, but believe me... it is.

I started my site (without dot com name yet), back in 1996. To my knowledge there were only 2 or 3 sites about morels then on the web. So when people asked me where to hunt, I freely told them some areas.

I used to hunt all season, and never see more than 3 or 4 people a day, hunting in my areas. Sometimes, none! After 4 or 5 years, there were villages in those areas! Really!

Forget about only seeing 3 or 4 hunters a day, think 150-200! My website ruined my best, and favorite spots! I no longer hunt there, because people didn't respect my request to keep the location I gave them, to themselves. And now it is over-run and over picked. I know first hand how that goes.

So..., why would a member chastise another posting member for giving out too much info?

While the member giving the info, may just be trying to be nice and helpful, they also may be giving directions to a hot spot that another members also hunts.

I blame it all on me & my website.
Mine was only the 3rd or 4th morel site on the internet then.
Myself and the early members, (justapicken is one) supplied info that flowed freely, until all of a sudden everybody's spots were flooded with people.

So now I believe people are justified, in only giving out info on HOW to find morels. Not where, nor, how they are doing in a certain county/city.

I hope this helps you understand some of our members comments.
They aren't jumping on you. Just trying to explain the reasons and stop the tide as much as they can.

You ever wonder why there aren't more Yooper's posting? Those folks know how to keep things to themselves. You ask them where the morels or fish are, and half will say they don't hunt or fish, and the other half will just look at you. Smart people. I worked in the U P for several years. It took awhile, but when they dicided you were okay, then they would tell all they know. But only about 10% of it. LOL
I love 'em for it!

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:09 am   #22
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Well written and to the point....thanks Frank.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:10 am   #23
rlhall
Enhanced Membership
Name: Bob
Central, Michigan US
Rockford

Frank,
Thanks for taking the time share your thoughts. I understand what you are saying and accept the position you and the others have expressed.

Had a friend with a cousin in Cedarville MI that would give us a heads up on the smelt runs based on weather and conditions and his experience. Never met or dipped with him nor did he share his spots to dip, but he did let us know when the 5 hour drive might be in our best interest.

Guess I anticipated MM members to be open and share the same level of information. My mistake as it appears over the years the objective has shifted from "come on up" because the morels are flushing to avoiding having folks flooding the woods. The forums "I Found Some" and Share Your Photos" leads one easily to the obvious questions of where and when. Brother I was always interested in "when" conditions would best to make a trip vs ever asking where anyone's spots were.

Appreciate you understanding what we were saying and responding with a respectful explanation.
Thanks, Bob
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:35 pm   #24
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Well writtin Frank. Wissh I cooda explained it betta!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:04 pm   #25
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

You are so correct, Frank!

People should describe the environments to find morels, but not tell exact locations online.

Jeff O.