Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Next mushroom on the list....
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:08 pm   #11
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Re: Next mushroom on the list....

I have no experience in chants whatsoever. Just want to learn and have a good time. Im willing to go wherever. Jon you know I'm open to trips up north lol but probably down state would be better. Just whatever you guys think. Oak is the key, yes? Plenty of land. Let's do this

Josh
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:34 pm   #12
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Brad, look for the most mature maples you can find. They often drop lower limbs, and when the limbs are freshly fallen, they will have oysters for a couple years to come. Usually see them in the next week or two.

As for the chants... I can try and locate a spot on some unexplored ground that maybe we can all meet up. The key for me and golden chants is mature trees. The bigger oaks you can get into, the better they are. The younger trees (12 in and less) generally have very low numbers for my spots, if any at all. The larger oaks create the "oak openings"... and well you know...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:30 pm   #13
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

Well the next week or two for you guys in michigan means like this week for me down here in Indiana... I may go explore this weekend...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:46 pm   #14
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

yeah probably be a good idea! i didn't notice you were down there or i woulda mentioned that
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:55 pm   #15
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

It's fine i appreciate the help... I have been hunting morels for years with my grandparents and now they are pretty much gone and im all grown up and figured I would explore some other fungus outside of morels. So this weekend I will go find some old maple trees and see what I can come up with.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:31 pm   #16
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

check the wild black cherry too. i have good results with oysters on those this time of year. i checked my spot for those yesterday and saw nothing yet.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:26 am   #17
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

Im not sure that we have many wild cherry trees down here... the soil is quite different here than in MI. For the maple trees though would one look for the branches that have fallen to the ground, or at the trees that have dropped the branches?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:38 am   #18
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

the branches that have fallen to the ground are what you're looking for... especially if it was broken off from a storm last year. also if you have a forest that is thick with maple and trees are young ones are dying from being choked out by the bigger ones, you would find them on the dead young ones as well. that is how the BTA oysters function basically.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:56 pm   #19
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Plus the limbs on the ground are guaranteed to be pickable... If the smaller dead maples work like the dead aspens do, that can be harder. The poplar oysters can frustrate you when they're growing 40 ft up a dead tree lol.

I have a spot in my mind I'd check for the maple oysters if I didn't have so many poplar oysters already. But we should definitely figure this chanterelle trip out. Blake I think you have my number. Get a hold of me sometime if you want to do a little scouting together. I do have a place or two in mind that might be about equal drive for both of us.

Josh
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:59 pm   #20
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Keep me posted. I'm going to be pretty busy the next 10 days.