Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Manistee
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 4, 2016, 6:53 pm   #1
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

Manistee

Have plans to head up to cadillac area this weekend. Has anyone had any luck that far north yet? Should I cancel the hotel?
Old May 4, 2016, 8:42 pm   #2
chuckin
Enhanced Membership
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA

Re: Manistee

Looking to have that same question answered myself Brad...
Old May 4, 2016, 9:20 pm   #3
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

I saw a posting from traverse city that found a few pounds of greys but said most were ~2 inches and they left them on private property. My best guess is that it's a week early to walk out with a sack full but I'm hopeful that we at least walk out with some.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:17 am   #4
Captain
Name: Capt.
Central, Tennessee USA

I will be heading up there today. Won't make it there until tomorrow cause I'm traveling from Nashville tn.. I talked to a friend south of traverse and he said they are finding black above mesick but that's all he knows.
I'll be there through the middle of next week and pretty confident we will pick some. Of coarse I thought the same thing last year. Difference is I was leaving the woods heading home this time last year.
Any reports from the mesick area would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:51 pm   #5
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

Spent all day in the woods today and came out empty handed. Growth is still small but looks right in some places but just no mushrooms
Old May 5, 2016, 10:14 pm   #6
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

We are going to head up towards mesick area tomorrow to check it out. Might be better off to stay further south yet. I'm from northern Indiana and last weekend they seemed to be just starting to take off down there.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:27 am   #7
Captain
Name: Capt.
Central, Tennessee USA

I'll be setting up camp late this afternoon. Probably go on a morning hunt tomorrow and then hit the festival. Should be able to get the low down from some folks there. Let me know if you have any luck and I'll do the same.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:26 am   #8
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

Will do. So far it's been very confusing. The ground looks absolutely perfect... Besides having any morels...
Old May 6, 2016, 9:17 am   #9
mushroomjules65
Name: julie
Southern, Michigan USA

Hello Gang: I was in mesick this week. I saw people from IN. camped already. the woods looked great. It rained while I was there. I only found 12 small blacks in 3 days of looking. I have had great luck in past years. Not so this year. The people I talked with had the same luck. The season seems to be running late this year. the shrooms are going to need some warmer temps. before they start. If you go this week expect some luck, but not a bag full. Hope this helps. sigh. just waiting,,, waiting,,,, waiting,,,,, lol. sigh.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:06 pm   #10
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Indiana USA

Yeah we went as far north as traverse city and it only got worse... Ground is pretty dry that far north. Better off south unless you want to hunt for hours to end up with a handful. We canceled the hotels and are headed south tomorrow morning in hopes of finding something in southern Michigan/ home.