Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Any other chiliheads in here?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:00 am   #11
bunsenburner
Name: Matthew
Southern, Maine USA

I love chili's as well. I have found they do not grow quite as well in Northern climatyes as they did in Colorado. They really like the heat to flower, and in Maine it comes so late. Despite that I have some poblano's and ancho varieties going. I think the medium eat pepper with earth tastes are the most flavorful and add the most depth to meals.

I do like the sweet inducing butt burning variety as well, just don't grow them...
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:09 am   #12
Happy Trails
Enhanced Membership
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

BB. Have you tried black plastic to get a few more degrees out of the soil? I've done that with my sweet potatoes about three weeks before the plants arived as a result of George's Sweet Potato farms suggestion for northern climates.

George

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:50 am   #13
mnmmorels
Name: Matt
Central, Michigan usa
Essexville

are any of these peppers you named known as a red scovina ???? I've heard that is THEE hottest pepper known ?????????
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:04 pm   #14
richland49083
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA
S.W. Michigan

Miker says he smokes em? ---------I haven't smoked anything since the 70's.

Oh wait>>> he must be talking about putting them in a smoker with heat and wood chips! Will have to try that hahaha
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:24 pm   #15
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

Anaheims are anchos,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:33 pm   #16
fasthunter
Enhanced Membership
Name: Chris
Southern, Michigan USA

.:
Originally posted by mnmmorels
are any of these peppers you named known as a red scovina ???? I've heard that is THEE hottest pepper known ?????????
The Red Savina Habanero was the hottest chili in the record books a few years ago, but I do know that a few of the ones I'm growing now are hotter. Actually the Bhut Jalokia is the world record holder on the Scoville unit chart. The record Red Savina was measured at approximately 570,000 Scoville units. The Bhut Jaloka is measured at a little more that 1,000,100 Scoville units. The Naga Jalokia is pretty much the same and if grown in the right conditions the Trinidad Scorpion is pretty close. I loooove the really hot ones and oddly some of the extreme hot ones have a fruitier flavor. You don't taste it long, but it's a really pleasant flavor before it knocks you in the dirt!...lol!! Also, for frame of reference an orange hab is at about 250,000 scovilles and a jalapeno is set at 5,000 to 7,000 scovilles. I loooove the ultra hots, but I do like some that are hab heat level or below as well. Cayennes are one of my favorites. I'm actually excited about trying the chocolate hab as well. I guess they really hot for a hab and have good flavor.

Completely obsessed with fungi.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:36 pm   #17
fasthunter
Enhanced Membership
Name: Chris
Southern, Michigan USA

.:
Originally posted by richland49083
Miker says he smokes em? ---------I haven't smoked anything since the 70's.

Oh wait>>> he must be talking about putting them in a smoker with heat and wood chips! Will have to try that hahaha
The guy that gave me my seeds this year actually sent me one of his smoked chilipowders. You can actually taste the smoke flavor in with the heat. VERY good combo. I may be trying that myself in the future........................ .Also, what did you smoke in the 70's????......LOL!!! Just kidding.

Completely obsessed with fungi.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:51 pm   #18
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

Exactly Chris, put em in the smoker with mesquite or hickory,(type of pepper determines flavor of woodsmoke), smoke for about a 1/2 hour at medium heat and dense smoke, cool then put in the dehydrator until thouroughly dried, then grind into powder,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:51 am   #19
Steinpilz
Enhanced Membership
Name: Matt
Southern, New York USA

I should have figured you'd have 100 delicious ways to prepare chili peppers, mike. hehe. I just moved into a new apartment June 1. My old apartment had really bad light, but my new place has a fire escape in the back that faces east and a roof that gets full sun all day. I got the landlord's ok to put in some containers, so June 2 was planting day.

ATM I've got 8 tomatoes of various sizes and shapes, one per pot, in containers ranging from 5-14 gal. I had a really nice selection of heirloom seedlings from local farmers markets. The peppers were almost an afterthought, but I have 1 container of bells and one with a mild hot pepper. I'm looking to put in another pepper with more heat in the next couple days. I'll post pics once my adventure in urban gardening is looking a bit more robust.

It may take me an hours drive to get to the nearest mushroom spot, but the roof is only one flight up.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:20 am   #20
bunsenburner
Name: Matthew
Southern, Maine USA

Thanks Happy. May give that a try. Been having pretty good luck getting extra zones using similar tricks.