Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's Can I eat these?
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:34 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Full Member
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL
Join Date: Apr 3, 2008
Posts: 566

 
tkcenterline's Avatar
Can I eat these?

I found these today around my conifers right in the lawn. What are they? These mushrooms are light brown with spores so strong that they are leaving brown spore prints rignt on the grass (take a peek at one of the photos showing the prints right after I picked them).
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00142-20110920-1358.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00143-20110920-1402.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	7651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00140-20110920-1356.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	7652  
__________________

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
tkcenterline is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:18 am   #2
tkcenterline
Full Member
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL
Join Date: Apr 3, 2008
Posts: 566

 
tkcenterline's Avatar
Re: Can I eat these?

Sorry Frank I think I posted this in the wrong place
__________________

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
tkcenterline is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:43 am   #3
tkcenterline
Full Member
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL
Join Date: Apr 3, 2008
Posts: 566

 
tkcenterline's Avatar
Re: Can I eat these?

I am wondering if these are "slippery jack" (Suillus Luteus)?.
__________________

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
tkcenterline is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:52 pm   #4
dave6558
Full Member
Name: dave
Northern, Michigan USA
west branch
Join Date: Jun 4, 2011
Posts: 23

Re: Can I eat these?

Should be a veil ring left on the stem for Suillus Luteus. Picture isnt showing any.
dave6558 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:49 pm   #5
tkcenterline
Full Member
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL
Join Date: Apr 3, 2008
Posts: 566

 
tkcenterline's Avatar
Re: Can I eat these?

Dave thanks that's true. Good spot and I stand corrected. Now that I am looking closer, it looks more like Suillus Granulatus- no veil. All that I read say edible and choice. but to remove the tubes.
__________________

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
tkcenterline is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:34 am   #6
MisterNatural
Full Member
Name: Roosevelt
Southern, Michigan USA
Join Date: Jul 31, 2010
Posts: 104

Re: Can I eat these?

Looks like S. americanus. Were they growing with White pine trees?
__________________

My YouTube is MiWilderness
MisterNatural is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:42 am   #7
tkcenterline
Full Member
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL
Join Date: Apr 3, 2008
Posts: 566

 
tkcenterline's Avatar
Re: Can I eat these?

Hey Roosevelt, They were in my yard, in the grass around Scotch pine trees. It first I thought the same S. Americanus. But at a closer look the tubes were way smaller and finer more like the S Granulatus. After much work including spore printing, I peeled the tubes away and made a great soup. I must say they where very good and tasty. I have had them before.
__________________

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
tkcenterline is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:14 am   #8
bluefinn
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rick
Northern, Ohio usa
Join Date: Apr 7, 2007
Posts: 211

Re: Can I eat these?

I think I found the same thing. Mine were on the old side though.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	mush sept 24 2011 018.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	7684   Click image for larger version

Name:	mush sept 24 2011 015.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7685  
bluefinn is offline  
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:48 am   #9
tkcenterline
Full Member
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL
Join Date: Apr 3, 2008
Posts: 566

 
tkcenterline's Avatar
Re: Can I eat these?

Rick, they look very simular to the ones that where growing around my pines. But, I truely can't tell from the pictures what type they are. As you know, you need to do more home work. Need close up shots: top, bottom showing spore tubes and stem and a spore print, etc. It helps to be sure. Mine are now on the list of choice!!
__________________

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
tkcenterline is offline  
    Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verpa? Should I eat these or not? shroomer Other Type Mushroom photo's 12 May 20, 2011 10:49 am
Do any animals eat Morels Johnhunter74 Open Discussion 13 May 9, 2008 11:53 pm

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 am.


Michigan Morels.com  - Copyright ©1996 - 2018
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.