Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Finding Morels in Different Areas This Year?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:51 am   #1
MorelMorale
Name: Brad
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids

Finding Morels in Different Areas This Year?

I'm intregued by this year's morel season so far. Now that the season is at full-strength here in GR, I am actually finding more morels than normal. This doesnt seem to be the case for everyone. In fact, I am actually NOT seeing good numbers in my normal go-to spots. I am, however, having pretty good success near very old apple trees-- even apple trees that have not produced well or at all in the past. It's no secret that apple trees can be good morel hosts.. I have one that is almost always a sure bet... but I wonder if this odd season is somehow making apple trees produce bigger flushes that normal. Is anyone else finding this to be true? Also- I just found 20 or so nice yellows in... of all things.. some unkempt landscaping near a building. I have never noticed morels in this area, and have been hunting near it for several years. These notes, and more, will be going into my journal for the year. (If Mike reads this, he will be happy to know that I am taking his advice on keeping a journal- Thanks Mike)

Whenever anyone asks my 5 year old son "Where did you find those morels?".. His response "In the woods"
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:43 am   #2
bub
Name: Aaron
Northern, Michigan USA

Re: Finding Morels in Different Areas This Ye

I live in N. MI and from what I am seeing the whites are just getting started. I have found them in the yard but I haven't found them under apple tree's (yet) which really surprises me. I also havent found any in the woods where I normally do. I first spotted a white in the yard on the 20th and since then it hasnt seemed to have grown very much. More came up in the yard in the last couple of days and I wonder if the lawn is producing because its getting more sun and theres just enough difference in the soil temps compared to the woods and places where theres more under growth.

I going to check a few spots south of me that are in the woods today but if I dont find any I think I will focus on open areas that are getting the brunt of the sun - at least for a day or two.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:16 pm   #3
MorelMorale
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids

Yeah Aaron- I saw your post about the whites in your yard (great photo by the way). I was thinking the same thing you were-- maybe that particular area is receiving a little more sunlight. My success with apple trees could potentially be a fluke, or maybe just an area thing. It just peaked my interest to see if anyone else was seeing the same thing. Who knows. All I can say with certainty is that my normal spots arent producing great, while other areas seem to be doing better than normal. Thanks for the input.

Whenever anyone asks my 5 year old son "Where did you find those morels?".. His response "In the woods"
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:48 pm   #4
TheMorelian
Name: Jeff
Central, Michigan USA
Holton

I have found that several of the usual patches I find have moved over in one direction or another anywheres from 20 to 50 yards and more.

Apple trees are fast becoming a favorite of my younger brother. A friend of his took him out to his dads and they got some by the apple trees now he`s hooked. I have always had much less luck but I still look.

One host I`ve never found them by is the lilacs. I`ve heard that they`re a good bet to find whites/yellows and I have looked but never found any.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:30 am   #5
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Folks, I could go on about this subject for hours, but thru my years of experience, you have to change your tactic's to go with the weather patterns, early springs are not uncommon in Michigan if ya think back about it, if ya think about it, we had 3 lousy days in early March, where the temps soared, nothin unusual, weve all seen it, but the bad part was the lack of snow during the winter and lack of rain in the spring.
You have to change up tactic's for this, you have to start looking for places, that are sheltered from wind, sun etc, these areas will hold moisture longer, a mycelium can run for hundreds upon hundreds of feet, and will only flush if all of its criteria for growth is met, but along the mycelium's growth length, some area's along the growth length may not be optimum, so that is why they may appear farther away one year, but back in the same old spot the next year,that is why you need to start looking into thickets, lower areas, or slopes facing north or west early in the season, these area's will hold moisture longer, you have to remember the weather dealt you this hand, so use your knowledge to play your hand back, keep in mind moisture is thee key element for ground growing shrooms.

Another point is if the morel is a host type growth, or basically an oppurtunistic morel, more on this tommorrow, getting late gotta get to bed, mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:56 pm   #6
bub
Northern, Michigan USA

Good stuff Miker, looking forward to reading what you have to say about "host type growth."
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:50 pm   #7
MorelMorale
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids

I think I may have a mycology man-crush on Mike. We're all on the edge of our seats, waiting for today's lesson. I'm getting my popcorn ready now. Compared to most people I know, I am fairly knowledgeable about morels.. compared to Mike (and others here)... I know very little. But, I do know more this year than I did last... and last year more than the year before. Just have to keep that trend going

Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:05 pm   #8
bub
Northern, Michigan USA

Mycology man crush...Beautiful. I am with you though, he's the E.F. Hutton of decay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX7ZEotoFh0
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:56 pm   #9
MorelMorale
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids

LOL! Would it be an insult to say he is the Popcorn Sutton of Shrooms? http://hotairpopcornpopper.info/popcorn-sutton-video.html

Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:20 am   #10
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Will post tommorrow for sure, been busy in the afternoons, planting, chickens, shrooming been eating up my time. But on another point going back to the original post by me, you need to look at things or other prospectives on why the morels move,
1. an opening in the trees occured, could be a fallen tree or so forth, allowing more sunlight to the floor of the forest, allowing more sunlight in, thus heating the ground quicker and evaporating the water from the soil.
2. The food source died off, a dead elm that produced for a few years has finally quit giving off the nutrients the morel needed to grow, so it moved its mycelium off in search of another living elm for a host tree, where it may lay dormant for years until that elm dies.
3. Someone just flat out beat you to your spot, covered the stumps with leaves and moved on, smart morel hunters pinch the stalk off close to the ground to leave no trace of their finds.
4. When an ash tree grove dies off from E.A.B, it may produce for a year but after that forget it. Well I'm tired, got morels to clean up and I gotta get to bed,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said