Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion It's that time of year again... early.
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:44 am   #1
TreeTop
Name: Brett
Southern, Michigan USA

Cool It's that time of year again... early.

I've been back to the board a few times over the last two weeks because of the unseasonably warm weather near me (Allegan) and I guess it's about time I spoke up.

Hello and cheers to all my old friends, and to the newcomers. I took a brief jaunt yesterday to one of my early spots, just to see what the ground cover was like and immediately found morels... and some stumps. :/ I left the morels because I literally had like 5 minutes and actually jogged out of the woods so I wouldn't be late for something, but I'm taking the boys (all 3 of them + a cousin) out today to pick. Hopefully we'll end up with a mess big enough for everyone to enjoy them.

Frank - I just realized that I've been on the site since 2005 and I'm pleased to see that it's still alive and kicking. Thank you (and Debbie) for that!! I'll be sure to contribute to the cause this year. Maybe I'll even make the spring dinner this year for once. Would be nice to meet some of you after so long.

Have fun a and happy hunting everyone. Oh! Yeah. The ticks. They're BAD this year around here, so make sure you check yourself good after your hunts. Nother more gross that picking a grape sized tick off your head the next morning. Except for maybe it falling off on it's own inside your house and loosing a tick infestation!!

TreeTop
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:03 am   #2
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Re: It's that time of year again... early.

good luck....should be nicer today then the past few
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:56 pm   #3
piperchar
Enhanced Membership
Name: Char
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Drove up to our spot in Ogemaw Co today, but didn't find a thing. We checked three different spots where we have always found mushrooms in the past, but came up empty. We went into the local convenience store and asked if anyone had found any, and they said that they have not had any reports as of yet. The ground was plenty moist, and green vegetation was just beginning to pop up. It will probably be a few weeks yet up there.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:08 am   #4
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Where i found mine, the ground was virtually devoid of any greenery....REALLY frustrating!! Log this year for the books...it's weird alright!!