Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Miscellaneous Photo's Bug ID help needed
Miscellaneous Photo's Non-Mushroom photographs of wildlife, kids, pets, fishing, hunting, hobbies & what have you.

Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:55 am   #1
Tracey
Enhanced Membership
Name: Tracey
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

Bug ID help needed

The picture isn't the best...but I need some ideas on what this bug may be.
I had gone for a walk in the backyard. My back was bothering me, so came in to lie down and watch some tv. All of a sudden my jaw was burning, like I had been cut. I looked on my pillow and this is what I saw. I had never seen anything like this before. I believe it is some type of beetle. This bug has 4 legs with 2 front legs which are claws. It's shell is hard and kind of triangular. It's a light green with some distinct brown marks on its back. It's approximately 1/4" long. I believe it came in the house with me attached to my hair. This little bug hurt! Cut a hole in my jaw and left me bleeding and swollen. I get creeped-out over spiders, but this one is now added to my list.http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...rmat=0&lgdin=1
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:27 am   #2
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Tracey, by the size of the forearms of the beetle, I would say it was an ambush beetle, were you near any flowers? they like to hide in the flower tops, and grab visiting insects,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:42 am   #3
Tracey
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

I still have not gotten an identification on this bug yet. Contacted a few biologists to see if they could help.
Yes Mike, i was sniffing flowers, picking blackberries and sitting under the trees.
It took 2 days for the wound to heal and I'm still kinda freaked-out over it. (checking my hair and clothes when I come in from outdoors, checking my pillow...)
Yeah, I'm a big baby.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:00 pm   #4
shroom vaccuum
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sue
Northern, Michigan usa
rc

I think it is Phyllum Giganteum. Here's a link to a pic.....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Sorry it is so long!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:24 pm   #5
Tracey
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

Thanks Sue.
It is possible that the one i have is a baby one....after all the searching I have done, I was most impressed by the fact that bugs can change so much in appearance from birth to adult stage. It probably would have never "cut/bit/pinched" (whatever it did)...if I hadn't laid on it.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:07 pm   #6
Tracey
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

I received an email this afternoon from Stephen Malcolm a Professor of Biological Sciences from Western Michigan University.

Mike, you nailed it.

AMBUSH BUG (The one I have is a nymph)
GENUS: Phymata
Ambush Bugs, look different from other bugs in the Reduviidae family. In fact, some scientists place ambush bugs in their own family, Phymatidae. Ambush bugs are short and stout compared to assassin bugs, and their front legs are thicker and shaped like praying-mantis legs. Ambush bugs are commonly found on a variety of wildflowers where they wait in ambush for bees, flies, and other prey.
Assassin bugs and ambush bugs are always an interesting addition to an insect collection. Look for assassin bugs in any weedy or bushy area during warm months, especially in hedge rows, along roadsides and fence rows, in gardens, or along trails. Ambush bugs are commonly found on wildflowers during the summer, but they are especially common on goldenrod in late summer and early fall. Most assassin bugs and ambush bugs are slow moving: if you find them, they are usually easy to catch. They will also usually stay still for a photograph. If you are patient, you may be able to snap a picture of one as it slowly consumes its prey. Although assassin bugs and ambush bugs are not considered dangerous, most can bite, and should not be handled.
Because assassin bugs are such good predators, scientists are interested in using them as natural control agents of crop pests.