Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion I know it's a hard job...But C'MON!
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:19 am   #1
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

I know it's a hard job...But C'MON!

Well, I want to say that I know that it is a hard job especially in Michigan, but C'MON!!! I'm talking about our good old meteorologists! When I went to bed last night we were under an ice storm WARNING! Talking about a half inch plus of icing, take cover, we are all doomed, world coming to an end...So, my wife and I cancel our plans that we had made with our Nephew to take him and pick out a few gifts for Toys for Tots which is like an annual tradition. Lunch, shopping, he has a great time. He is 9 this year and it's good for him to see the giving side of Christmas. Anyway...I get up and there is just nothing on the weather anymore! No ice, no snow, NOTHING! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we didn't get any bad weather but how was this forecast screwed up this bad??? Nothing on radar, no warnings, watches...Just no mention of anything. Wife is on the phone with her brother trying to re-establish our plans....

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:48 am   #2
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Brandt, I agree with ya on their abilities, I was planning on going smokepoling this morning, but saw the forecast, and said the hel with ice and rain in the woods, so I don't go and wouldn't yas know, absolutely nothing happened here, so I guess I go this afternoon on my own forecast, if I stick my head out the door and there is no sleet, I'm going, sorry to hear about your plans,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:03 pm   #3
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Yikes, Greys! That has got to be a mess! Still got power though, eh? That's a plus! Hope it gets better down there for you soon!

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:05 pm   #4
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Plans re-established!

Not as grumpy now.

Brandt

Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:48 pm   #5
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Hmmm,I wonder if anyone ever did a study on the percentage of accuracy on weather forecasters predictions?I would have to say it's better than the old days when they depended on teletype and phone info from states to the west.I guess that being a meteorologist in Michigan is a shoot yourself in the foot type job with some of the perdictions they make...
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:54 pm   #6
Judy
Enhanced Membership
Name: Judy
Central, Michigan USA
St. Johns

We got nothing either. Our son was over yesterday so we had him hook up the generator to the tractor and park the tractor so it was facing the correct way out of the barn. I would have to drive it with Harold's bum knee, so I guess we are all set for the next ice storm. Better ready than not. Judy
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:23 pm   #7
beastybird
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

The Wisconsin weather people are just as bad as the ones in Michigan----I sure want a job like that--wrong 90% of the time and still get paid and keep your job-even better
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:04 am   #8
RedWing1
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

I was going to start another thread but....HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

I went to bed last night at 3am, after getting home from a poker tourney that the neighbor and I entered and I checked the weather...No mention of snow...NOTHING! This morning I crawl slowly out of bed with a monster headache, get on the computer and we have forcasted 6-10 inches of snow for tonight and tomorrow?????? HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN???

Brandt

Old Dec 15, 2007, 7:35 pm   #9
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Well,I hope they are wrong for up here.With another 6-12" of snow it's going to be murder trying to get around in the woods,not to mention what it's going to do to the ice for fishing.It was coming down pretty steady while out hunting this evening but at least it's a light and fluffy snow...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:18 pm   #10
Ohio Transplant
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

I can only laugh. Last night, here in central Indiana, they were predicting well over a foot of snow. Folks were emptying out the grocery stores. What we ended up with, 2 inches. Of course, we could get an additional 8 to 12 tonight....*eyeroll*